Fats are not the reason you are gaining weight. Carbohydrates can be part of the reason. If you eat too many of the wrong types of carbs, you can cause all types of health problems. Your metabolism struggles, your blood has to deal with more sugar, and you can end up with sugar crashes.
A high-protein, low-carb diet is often recommended for those who want to lose weight, build muscle, and live healthier. Protein breaks down in the body slower, while offering the right nutrients to the muscles to build them stronger and quicker. By getting more protein, you will feel fuller for longer. You will suffer fewer cravings and feel more satisfied throughout the day. You will have more sustained energy levels throughout the day.
Now you need to find easy ways to incorporate a low-carb high-protein diet into your lifestyle. Here are seven dinners that you want to start making from today.
Sesame Chicken Stir Fry
Stir fries are often considered to be full of carbs. After all, you add in noodles to the meal right? Well, you do not have to add noodles or rice to your meal if you do not want. Even if you do, there is still plenty of protein when you follow this recipe.
This recipe is full of fiber, healthy fats, and many other nutrients. It is weight loss in a friendly way, too.
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 2tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup of chicken stock
- 1/3 cup of teriyaki sauce
- 1lb chicken thighs or breasts, skinless, boneless, and sliced into strips
- 1 yellow/orange bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups of green beans, chopped and stemmed
- ½ cup of scallions, chopped
- 1/8 cup of sesame seeds
- Toast the sesame seeds in a skillet over a medium heat and then put to one side
- Coat the chicken in teriyaki sauce and then fry in the pan with a splash of oil for 4-5 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked through; put aside
- Add the green beans and chicken stock to the pan and cover, cooking for 5 minutes
- Add the coconut oil and peppers and cook for 4 minutes uncovered
- Add the garlic and remaining teriyaki sauce and cook for 30 seconds
- Add the chicken back in with sauce and cook for another minute to warm through
- Place up and sprinkle the sesame seeds and scallions over the top
If you are going to add some noodles or rice, opt for whole wheat options.You will get more fiber and healthier carbs into your meal.
Chicken Mushroom Ragout
This next meal will work perfectly for the end of a long week. You will replenish your energy and have something to look forward. It is extremely low in sugars and carbs while offering plenty of unsaturated fats and protein.
- 1 1/4lbs chicken breasts, chopped into strips and halved
- 1tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4tsp black pepper, divided
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup of white onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ cup of dry white wine
- 14oz full fat coconut milk
- 2tbsp flour
- 2tbsp butter softened
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Sprinkle some of the salt and pepper over the chicken strips
- Add 2tsp of the oil to a pan over a medium heat and add the chicken pieces, cooking for about 8 minutes until cooked through; set aside
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan with the mushrooms, onions, and thyme, cooking for 5-8 minutes until the onions softened
- Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds
- Push to the side of the pan and add the wine to space
- Scrape everything off the bottom of the pan and then leave on the heat until half the liquid evaporates
- Stir the vegetables into the liquid
- Meanwhile, combine the butter and flour
- Add the coconut milk, flour mixture, and nutmeg into the pan and stir until everything is combined
- Add the chicken back in with the rest of the salt and pepper, cooking for 3-5 minutes to heat through
- Remove the thyme when serving
You can serve this on a bed of rice. If you want to avoid the carbs, you can also choose quinoa, spaghetti squash, courgette spaghetti, or even soba noodles.
Lemon Roast Chicken
There are many chicken recipes. This is because it is one of the best meats for you. While others will have fat within the cuts of meat, chicken is just pure meat and protein (apart from the skin!). You can get a much healthier meal from choosing chicken. Turkey is another excellent alternative. However, you can switch this with pork if you would like.
You will need to butterfly the chicken. Place it breast-side down on the cutting board and cut along the spine from the bottom to the top. Remove and discard the spine and then lay the chicken open with the skin side up.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 lemons, sliced into wedges
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, 4 crushed and the others left whole
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1tbsp ground rosemary
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp black pepper
- 1tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Butterfly the chicken
- Combine the oil, paprika, ground rosemary, crushed garlic, salt, and pepper and rub it into the chicken between the meat and the skin
- Place the whole garlic cloves and 4 lemon wedges onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place the chicken skin side up on top Add the rest of the rest of the lemon wedges around the body and legs
- Place in the oven for 50-60 minutes until the juices are clear
- Remove the skin from the best weight loss results
This is delicious served with a side salad or some steamed veggies on the side. You can add some sweet potatoes for healthy carbs on the side.
Turkey Taco Salad
Turkey is an excellent option if you do not want chicken. There are slightly different tastes, and textures to them and turkey is easier to find in place of minced beef or pork. This taco salad recipe will suit any clean eating lifestyle.
- 1lb lean turkey mince
- 2 ½-3tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 cups of chopped tomatoes, preferably fresh for clean eating
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 cups of lettuce, sliced thinly
- 1 cup of guacamole
- ½ cup of salsa
- Cook the meat until browned in a skillet over a medium heat
- Drain the fat and add the taco seasoning with 1/3 cup of water, cooking for another 3-5 minutes
- Arrange the tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, cheese, and salsa in four places and then top with the taco turkey
You can finish this off with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt if you would like. If you do not want turkey, you can opt for beef or pork mince. Opt for lean or extra lean cuts of the mince for best health results.
You can make the taco seasoning, salsa, and guacamole yourself if you want. The store-bought options will also work.
Chicken and Pepperoni Slow Cooked Dinner
How about something that you can set and forget? This recipe will take just 10 minutes to prepare. You throw it all in the slow cooker, and it will be ready when you return home from work.
- 2lb chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- 1tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2tsp basil
- 1/4tsp red pepper flakes
- 35 turkey pepperoni slices, halved
- ½ cup of black olives, pitted and sliced
- Place the chicken at the bottom of the slow cooker and season with the salt and pepper
- In a bowl, mix the broth with the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and pepper flakes
- Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken and then add the pepperoni over the top
- Place the slow cooker on high and cook for 3 hours; cook for 6 hours on low
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks and mix in to absorb the liquid, cooking for another 30 minutes
If you do not want the meat, but you still want the protein, try adding a mixture of beans in place. If you are not into hot meals, opt for sriracha instead.
You can serve this with some steamed veggies or a salad on the side.
Philly Cheese Stuffed Peppers
How about a taste of a Philly cheese steak but without the carby additions? You can enjoy your favorite foods with a slight twist. This recipe is the one that you want to try. It will take just 20 minutes to make from start to finish, making it the perfect weekday meal.
- 3 green bell peppers, halved and ribs removed
- 2tsp oil of choice
- 8oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1tbsp crushed garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 8oz steak, fat trimmed and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 pieces of sliced cheese, halved
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set to one side; preheat the oven to 400F
- In a stock pot, bring 4 cups of water to boil over a high heat
- Place the green pepper halves in two at a time for 2-4 minutes, so the skin loosens a little
- Place the peppers on paper towels to drain all the water off
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the mushrooms, red peppers, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until the vegetables often
- Add the steak to the skillet and then stir in the Worcestershire sauce, cooking for 2-4 minutes
- Place the green pepper halves in the baking dish, skin side down and line the inside with half a slice of the cheese each
- Add some of the steak mixture to each pepper and then top with half slices of cheese
- Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese melts over the top
This is something you want to add to your repertoire of regular quick meals for the family. Everyone will love it. If you are not keen on green peppers (they can be bitter) us other colors of bell peppers instead. You can also make this vegetarian-friendly by using beans and legumes in place of the steak.
The cooking of the steak will leave it slightly pink inside. If you prefer your steak better cooked, you can cook it for longer in the pan.
BBQ Pulled Pork Slow Cooker Dinner
It is time for another slow cooker recipe. This one uses pork, and it is best not to substitute the pork for anything. You will get 10 servings out of this recipe, so you will have plenty of leftovers for the week if you like to bulk cook.
- 1tbsp each of garlic powder, brown sugar, chili powder, and cumin
- 2tsp salt
- 1tsp each of cinnamon and black pepper
- 2 1/2lbs of pork loin, fat trimmed
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce
- Stir the spices and herbs together in a mixing bowl
- Pat the pork with paper towels to dry them and then chop them into 3-4 pieces, for a quicker cooking time
- Pour the spice mixture over a baking sheet and then coat the pork in it covering as much as possible
- Place the onions at the bottom of your slow cooker and top with the pork
- Pour the chicken broth over the meat
- Cook for 6-8 hours on a low setting or 4-6 hours on a high setting; the pork should be tender enough to shred with two forks
- Remove the onion from the slow cooker and discard
- Remove the liquid and put in a bowl
- Put the pork in the slow cooker with the BBQ sauce and ½ cup of the slow cooker liquid to moisten the meat
Serve with vegetables or a salad on the side. You can also add some brown rice or quinoa. Quinoa is an excellent option when you want more protein, as it is a complete protein.
Look Forward to Healthy Dinners Again
Healthy dinners do not have to be boring and tricky to make. The seven recipes above will give you something to look forward to with every meal that you have. Start with just one or two recipes if you are not too sure about the low carb, high protein dinners at first. You will soon realize that you have more energy and feel great at the end of the day.
The dinners are mostly quick to make. Those that aren’t are either excellent for Sunday dinner or are placed in the slow cooker, so you can make them while you are at work. Don’t forget to bulk make your meals to make getting home and cooking much easier on a night. You will find it much easier to stick to your new, healthy lifestyle.