Your body needs iron to form a sufficient production of hemoglobin (red blood cells), which in turn functions to transmit oxygen throughout your body. During pregnancy, your need of iron doubles up as most of the iron composition in your blood also expands to supply blood to the growing fetus.
Dietary lean meat is your best source of iron. However, taking iron supplements to ensure you are getting enough, minimizes the risk of preterm delivery as well as maternal and infant mortality associated with iron deficiency.
Who Needs Iron Supplements?
Women who are pregnant or nursing needs an iron since they are more prone to iron deficiency anemia, a condition wherein there is a lack of iron to produce healthy red blood cells. Taking the best source of iron in the form of a supplement can help fill in the gap and relieve the health condition.
The same case goes with women who are going through a pre-menopausal period. In this stage, women mostly deplete chronic blood along with iron. This requires them to go for a higher dosage of iron.
Dialysis patients are mostly recommended by their healthcare provider iron supplements as their best source of iron. They lose an amount of blood during dialysis, and their medicines mostly are mostly iron-depleting. Moreover, since their diet often limits the intake of meat, their best source of iron would be supplemented.
People who pursue vegetarian lifestyle will not get enough iron with the elimination of meat in their diet. Beans and other vegetables will not suffice as it contains poorly absorbed iron. Also, even a well-balanced meal does not always guarantee a sufficient supply of iron. In both cases wherein there is a difficulty in getting enough iron in the diet, their best source of iron would be a strategic supplementation.
What is an Iron Supplement?
An iron supplement is designed to treat and prevent iron deficiency. It may be taken through injection in the vein or muscle or may be consumed through capsule pills, extended-release tablets, syrups, and powder.
Oral supplementations are a more popular approach because of its convenience. They are formulated with different concentrations and standard preparations. They work in your body by elevating your iron to maintain or reach the normal levels. Some also help with identifying the root problem that causes the iron deficiency and correcting it.
Although prescriptions are not required for these supplements, always check with your healthcare provider about the dosage requirements, possible drug interactions, and side effects.
What Are The Benefits of Iron Supplement for Pregnant Women
Iron is one essential mineral in the body. According to a study, 50 percent of pregnant women are not getting enough. Besides eating iron-rich foods, your best source of iron if you are pregnant could be through supplements. A pregnant woman needs extra iron in her body for several reasons.
- Prevents Anemia: Pregnant women are more prone to this health condition and may lead to pregnancy complications if early stages are not treated and detected. Taking iron supplement as the best source of iron will ensure that your body will meet the increasing demands maternal hemoglobin to prevent or treat anemia.
- Supports Development of the Infant: Your growing baby needs iron for the survival of placenta especially during the third trimester. The iron is built and stored to last up to six months in the organs of the baby to be healthy after birth.
- Fends off Body Fatigue: Rapid body exhaustion is part of pregnancy, but lack of iron makes it worse. However, taking iron supplement can help you boost energy levels since organs in the body are mostly getting energy in nutrients found in iron,
- Aids in Oxygen Transport: Without enough iron, your body will not be able to produce healthy red blood cells. Iron helps in proper production of the red blood cells that carry oxygen supply to the lungs and other organs of the body,
- Boosts immune system: A suppressed immune system is a rough condition among pregnant women. The role of iron in the immune system involves protecting the body against invading substances such as bacteria and viruses, warding off those “morning sickness” and other flu associated with pregnancy.
- Maintains Healthy Cells: Iron is an essential element to every aspect of cellular mechanisms. Iron supplements can be beneficial in providing enough energy and oxidation to every cell in the body.
What Are The Precautions of Iron Supplement for Pregnant Women?
Most of the side effects of iron supplements are linked with excessive consumption. Pregnant women need at least 18-27 milligrams of iron everyday. An overdose is related to people whose iron intake are above 1000 mg. If your body already consumed enough iron from actual food or prenatal vitamin, taking iron supplements are not required. Too much iron in the body can lead toxicity to organs and the placenta.
Minor side effects include nausea, constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, and body fatigue. Do not take iron supplements with milk or carbonated drinks as it may trigger these side effects.
It is also possible that an iron supplement interacts with a drug which may result in a decreased efficacy of both iron and the other medication you are taking. Talking to a pharmacist should help you determine if there is a possible drug interaction with your current medication and iron supplementation.
Always get your iron level tested. Your obstetrician may change the dosage if your level goes through usual or may advise if you still need to continue with the supplement as your best source of iron.
What’s The Best Iron Supplement for Pregnant Women
Not all iron supplements are created equal. Some may be even off-limits during pregnancy. Additionally, there are types and brands to choose from. If you do not know where to start, below are the top iron supplements that are effective in mitigating iron levels and safe to be consumed by pregnant women.
For those women who often experience constipation and stomach upset with other iron supplements, Nature’s Easy Iron is your best source of iron. It features a potent iron known as Ferrochelate; the gastrointestinal system well accepts that. Another advantage of this supplement is it is advanced chelating technology which makes it a safer iron getaway for pregnant women as it allows the iron in your body to be maintained at a normal level.
It fills in iron deficiency up to 90 percent while a person with normal iron value only absorbs the amount it needed to avoid excess iron build-up while preventing deficiency. What’s more, because Ferrol chelate carries no electrical charge, it does not interfere with other nutrient absorption. This best source of iron product comes with droppers so it could conveniently be fed to infants.
- Less gastrointestinal issues
- Effective even with a lower dosage
- Promotes a normal iron level
- Doesn’t hinder other nutrient absorption
- Uses advanced parented chelating technology
- Can be taken as is or mixed with fruit juices
- Suitable for pregnant women, nursing mothers, and babies
- Unpleasant taste
Ultimate Iron by Enzymatic Therapy is a dietary iron supplement that uses a heme iron as your best source of iron. According to a study, daily doses of heme iron (at least 6.5 mg) prevent a drop in red blood cell levels in the third trimester of pregnancy. Moreover, the use of heme iron supplements is widely acceptable during pregnancy and may even be recommended by your doctor together with your prenatal vitamins.
Not all heme iron supplements, however, are created equal. Each soft gels of Ultimate Iron have fast-absorption properties because it is in Ferrous Succinate in form and is sourced from liquid liver fractions, making it 33 percent more absorbable by the body and multi-function as a stamina booster. With the cooperation of its synergistic blends namely Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, and Folic Acid, it supports the production of healthy red blood cells.
- Faster and maximum absorption
- Replenishes iron loss
- Promotes healthy cells
- Stamina and energy booster
- Free from artificial flavoring and dairy products
- Free from artificial flaAffordableavoring and dairy products
- Produces outlandish smell if stored in high-temperature
- Contains soybean allergens
- Causes stomach upset
It is common to feel tired and even emotional during pregnancy due to the hormonal changes taking place. It is very rare to find an iron supplement like Floradix Floravital Iron & Herbs Supplement that both addresses mental fatigue and weakness. It overcomes the effect of fatigue with the potent blend of Ginseng Rhodiola Ashwagandha and Schisandra berry extract that strengthen immunity during times of stress. With the help of B vitamins, it brings back the balance of energy, reducing fatigue while increasing mental alertness and physical endurance but without causing jitters.
It is also unmatched when it comes to iron absorption with the higher rate of 25 percent when compared to regular iron tablets, making it one your best source of iron. Moreover, since it is free from yeast, gluten, and honey, the formula is also suitable for those who have allergies of those above as well as those who have digestive problems.
- High iron absorption rate
- Boosts energy
- Suitable for vegetarian and lactose intolerant
- Free of yeast, gluten preservatives
- Pre-packaged with a measuring cap
- Slow-releasing iron
- Goes to waste at a room temperature; needs refrigeration
- Off taste
To make the most of your iron supplement, experts suggest taking it with orange juice or supplementing it vitamin C to help iron get into your body. However, with the added vitamin C of Nature’s Plus Chewable Iron, you will not need to worry about taking an extra dosage of Vitamin C. Nature’s Plus is the first one to adopt iron supplement with Vitamin C included in their Chewable Iron Supplement. The addition of raspberry leaves and rose hips helps in with natural flavors along with beetroot to give your body its needed calcium and vitamin requirement.
High in potency, it delivers a 27 mg of iron each serving. The iron tablets are in the form of Amino Acid Chelates that have been developed to help prevent and iron deficiency anemia among pregnant women.
- Blended with herb for vitality and fitness
- Provides energy
- Uses natural sweetener
- May be swallowed indirectly or as chewable tablets
- Great taste
- Contains no gluten, wheat soy, yeast, and milk
- FDA approved
- Contains sugar additives
- Has an aftertaste
This New Chapter’s iron supplement is derived from a combination of whole-food complexed iron sourced from organic vegetables and herbs mixed with several blood vitamins and minerals (Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Folate, B12 and Zinc) all in one convenient tablet. The dual-fermented iron help support both hemoglobin and myoglobin levels while preventing nutritional iron deficits. Moreover, since this best source of iron is formulated within the infinite complexity of food, it is easier to digest and doesn’t irritate gastrointestinal system.
- Promotes a good reproductive health among women
- Supports healthy production of blood cells
- For stress and energy support
- May be consumed on an empty stomach
- Easy to digest
- All organic
- Price is a little high
- Hard to swallow
- Contains allergens
Our Choice For The Best Iron Supplement for Pregnant Women
The patented advanced chelating technology of Nature’s Nutra Easy Iron Drops Supplement makes the product stands out from the rest. The formula controls the iron levels in your body so you will not have to worry about deficiency nor excessive consumption. It does not interact with other nutrient intake and is well tolerable by the stomach, making a highly acceptable best source of iron for pregnant women.