Millions suffer from sinus infection every year, and no matter how careful you are in order not to get its symptoms, it can also be caused by climate/season change, which makes it all the more inevitable. Sinusitis is a condition where the sinuses’ tissue linings are inflamed or swollen. If not treated properly and immediately, this could lead to infections and from there, things can really be unpleasant. Sinus infections usually result in chest pains and mucus build-up, and while there are plenty of over-the-counter medicines and supplements to help you ease the discomfort, there were some cases wherein surgery is the only way to relief your system.
Signs and symptoms may actually vary from one case to another. It depends on an individual’s body system, which is why it is important to consult a doctor in order to find out whether your condition is acute or chronic. Here are the common symptoms to watch for.
For Acute Sinusitis:
- Nasal congestion accompanied by mucus discharge
- Dripping nose with sore throat.
- Pain across certain areas in your face, like the cheekbone, around the eyes, ears (ear pain in general) and even the upper teeth.
- The patient may also acquire fever.
- Swelling of the face and dizziness.
For Chronic Sinusitis: Though the symptoms can be quite similar, they last longer and are usually more severe when it is chronic.
- Facial discomfort or pain that gets worst on certain time of the day, usually in the morning and gets worst when you lean forward.
- Sore throat accompanied with bad breath.
- Sudden toothache (not only the upper teeth) or increased sensitivity.
One important thing that you need to know is that sinus infection can either be contagious or not. If it was a viral infection, then apparently, it can be passed to people who physically interact with you often. The person who got your virus may show symptoms such as cold and fever. On the other hand, if the infection was caused by allergic reactions to certain bacteria, it is less likely to spread, though it will last in your body system a lot longer.
We have listed down some most of the most effective and recommend brands to help you ease the discomfort caused by sinus infections.
Bio Ampixilina is a product manufactured by Mya, International Inc. Every capsule contains 500mg of natural ingredients namely andrographis, garlic, and Echinacea. The said ingredients have innate antibacterial and immunity boosting property.
It is an excellent all natural remedy, though not widely known, to treat common sinus infections like nasal congestion and colds. It is also effective in treating the first symptoms of flu. Bio Ampixilina is best for people who are allergic to prescribed medical antibiotics because it has no harmful side effects. Best taken at morning and before bedtime; 2 capsules twice daily.
- Safe for adults with known allergies to prescribed antibiotics
- Does not require Doctor’s prescription
- Safe for Children 12 years and older
- Shortens the duration of the symptoms if taken early
- This product is not intended to diagnose, cure, mitigate, treat, or prevent any disease.
- A box is only good for a week’s use
- Not available or shipped internationally
- Did not indicated if safe during pregnancy and breast-feeding
Vicks DayQuil Cough Cold and Flu Relief are softgels that contains acetaminophen which has been widely used as a pain reliever or fever reducer, dextromethorphan which is an effective cough Suppressant, phenylephrine which is a nasal decongestant. Following the main ingredients, this over-the-counter medicine also has povidone and guaifenesin – one has an antibacterial property and the latter is an expectorant that helps clear mucus and phlegm from the chest.
Proven effective in relieving fever, headache, nasal congestion, sinus congestion, sore throat, cough and flu-like symptoms such as minor body aches and pains. Taking this on daytime is not a problem since, unlike the commonly used drugs for colds, Vicks DayQuil Cough Cold and Flu Relief has a non-drowsy formula. To achieve the best effect, take two caplets every four hours. Be mindful that taking this medication should not exceed more than 5 days especially if symptoms get worse. It is still advisable that incase symptoms worsen, please consult a doctor.
- Kept allergies and colds at bay without the feeling of dozing off anytime
- Gives a good night sleep when taken at night
- Easy to swallow capsules
- Easy to carry anytime and anywhere
- Packaging is easy to tear seal but child resistant
- Doesn’t taste awful and leaves no chalky texture in the tongue when taking
- Comprehensive product label to ensure correct dosing
- Does not need doctor’s prescription
- Overdosing can cause serious health problems
- Currently, item can be shipped only within the S. and to APO/FPO addresses
- A little pricey as compared to its competitors
- Not suitable for breastfeeding and pregnant moms
Halo is an oral antiseptic that protects against airborne germs. Protection from sickness is just a squirt away! It is packaged in a small 1 fl. oz. bottle and three sprays in the mouth kills 99.9% of many common harmful germs and bacteria that normally lasts for up to six hours. This is a great and a hassle-free tool for using while at school, bus, grocery store or in any crowded place there is.
Unlike the other oral antiseptics, this one has a kid’s formula and comes in two different varieties: citrus and berry flavor for adult and grape flavor for children. This is a kid friendly suggestion to suppress the common colds and prevent from further sinus complications including fever, congested and stuffy nose, sore throat and cough, and most especially flu.
- Safe for use for kids 2 years and above
- Kid-friendly taste and mode of ingestion
- Easy to carry no-spill packaging
- Prevention from sickness even while traveling
- Really works!
- No awful after-taste even after 6 hours
- No known harmful side effects
- Available over-the-counter
- Overdosing can cause serious health problems
- Must not be taken for more than 7 days
- Currently, item can be shipped only within the S. and to APO/FPO addresses
- Stocks are very limited
XLEAR Natural Saline Nasal Spray with Xylitol is a product of innovation and the first to introduce Xylitol in a nasal spray. This new component enhances the effect in reducing congestion and opening the airways adding a little antimicrobial process. This spray is sold in 1.5oz bottle that delivers approximately 240 fine-mist sprays.
XLEAR Nasal spray is proven safe and non-addictive as it is made from simple ingredients: purified water, salt and baking soda (plus a bonus Xylitol on the side). When your allergies get hand in hand with nature and weather, this is the handiest and most convenient way to flush and cleanse those nostrils clear from dusts and irritants.
To use this, first is to remove the clear safety cap from the bottle. Then prior to initial use, prime the pump by holding it upright and pumping one or more times until the solution is dispensed. Clear the nasal passages by gently blowing your nose prior to using Xlear Saline and Xylitol Nasal Spray. Insert the nozzle into nostril and depress pump completely while breathing in through your nose. Lastly, spray 2-4 times in each nostril.
- Provides quick relief
- Easily available over-the-counter drug
- Not just cleanse but also moisturizes the nasal passages
- Suitable for the whole family
- Very easy to use
- Not advisable for lazy people
- Not for people with zero tolerance to slight discomfort during application
- May cause discomfort to people with sensitive nasal passages
Overview: Doctor’s Choice 3 Echinacea herbal supplement is combined to give maximum effect and diversity of active components and properties. This formula is a liquid supplement that has a natural antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal property which supports the immune system and relieves symptoms of common sinus infections. It is sold in the market in a brown glass bottle packaging with a dropper that serves as its cap.
- 100% Natural and organic
- Best for people with high sensitivity to allergens
- For practical moms like me who wish to try this for the first time, the brand Doctor’s Choice is giving out a 100% money back guarantee if this product fails to deliver its promise.
- Very affordable
- Marketed as herbal supplement thus, is not intended to diagnose, treat or cure any disease or medical condition.
- Not available internationally
Mucinex is one of the most recommended over-the-counter expectorants among Family Practitioners, which relieves mucus-induced congestion in the chest.
Guafenesin helps in relieving chest congestion, and Mucinex is guafenesin, which is exactly what you need. It helps your lungs to loosen up the phlegm; making it thin enough to be coughed out of your system, freeing your air tubes and making it easier to breathe. Not only does it give you relief from sinus infection, it can be your first choice, too, with cough and flu.
- Promises 12-hour relieve upon intake, lasting longer than other than many other guafenesin products in the market.
- Free from both alcohol and sugar.
- Available in various forms such as tablets and liquids.
- Easily accessible; you can also buy in combo with other cold and flue medications.
- Mucinex is relatively more expensive than other brands.
- Not quite effective for severely dry cough.
- Some users have reportedly had headache and upset stomach upon intake.
- Only effective for mild cold and congestion, so it is usually taken only on the first signs of the infection.
Supports 3 body systems at the same time – your immune, digestive and respiratory – for overall bronchial health. Redd Remedies include quercetin and Vitamin C to better promote your body’s healthy response to histamine, allergies and infections. It also clears respiratory build up to help you get back to smooth and normal breathing.
- Ensures enormous sinus relief in 3 days.
- Clears passages and relieves stuffiness.
- Works great with stuffy or runny nose.
- Relieves allergies caused by change of climate or season.
- Works just fine but not with severe allergic reactions.
- Has to be taken quite often, usually every 4 hours.
- May be effective, but doesn’t last really long.
- Pills usually come in big sizes, usually quite big to swallow.
Sinusalia relieves common colds with headache, sinus pain and nasal congestion caused by allergies. It comes in non-drowsy tablets and is safe for everyone, as early as 6 years of age. Boiron has been producing quality medicines since 1932, which is quite an established record in the field of health and medicine.
- Recommended for the busy type of person since it doesn’t cause drowsiness upon intake.
- Tablets dissolve easily, which makes it easier to take even among kids.
- Doesn’t have side effect even when taken alongside other medicines.
- Includes lactose in its ingredients, which could have a different effect depending on who takes it.
- Melts easily but can taste “chalky” for kids.
- Effect may take place a little longer than expected.
- Has to be taken as often as every couple of hours, which could be stressful for a working patient.
LES Labs Sinus & Seasonal, Natural Supplement for Sinus & Nasal Health, Seasonal Discomfort and Healthy Histamine Levels
Les Labs Sinus & Seasonal is a natural formula that promotes better nasal health and sinus relief without causing drowsiness. This drug-free supplement also helps in reducing seasonal nasal discomfort by regulating a healthy level of histamine in your body system. It promises to regulate the causes before they lead to any symptoms.
- Convenient for the busy type of person since you just have to take one capsule daily.
- Helps your system react positively with pollen allergens.
- Huge, positive difference in a few days, especially with allergies caused by seasonal change. Relieves itchiness and nasal drip.
- Recommendable for the highly-allergic patients.
- Stops constant sinus drainage, even with severe sinusitis.
- Affordable market price.
- Les Labs doesn’t seem to provide an easy-to-reach hotline or contact details for those who have their queries about the product.
- Ingredients in low volume, especially when compared to other products.
Sudafed PE Congestion and Sinus Relief comes in 10-milligram phenylephrine that usually works wonders in reducing nasal swelling. It is an over-the-counter medicine and is non-drowsy, making it recommendable for workers.
- Takes effect as quick as 20 minutes.
- Relieves stuffed nose without feeling drowsy, which makes it recommendable even during work hours.
- Quality product for a reasonable, competitive price.
- Dosage may be too low to actually leave a significant effect in your body.
- Doesn’t indicate that it is not safe for pregnant women, but the ingredients state otherwise.
- Instructions on proper dosage and frequency of intake are not written on the box. You have to search about it online or at least call a pharmacy or other relevant hotlines.
What is Sinus Infection, and How Does One Get Infected?
Sinus cavities are empty spaces in which the air flows – it is located within the bones that surround our nose. When our nasal cavities become swollen, an infection may immediately follow, particularly because the sinuses were filled with germs and fluid that block the passages, which is the main reason for infection.
Depending on the type of infection your sinus has acquired, it could last longer than you wish it would. Acute sinusitis may last for about a couple of week even when you are self-medicating. Bacterial sinusitis, those which doctors usually recommend antibiotics to cure, occur if the symptoms last for over 14 days. Nevertheless, you may be surprised at how long chronic sinusitis could last – it can constantly give you trouble up to 12 weeks, especially those that are associated with certain allergies. Sinus infection can affect anyone from all the age brackets.
What are the Other Ways to Treat Sinus Infection?
As much as these medicines can help you recover from sinus infection, there are always some natural ways that you can opt for to better help your body recuperate. The most basic method, perhaps, is water therapy. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water – more plenty than your usual intake, if possible. Increasing your fluid intake actually helps your body in ways you may not be aware of. Taking a steam using hot water is also an effective way to moisten your sinus. Prepare hot water for shower and put a few drops of menthol or eucalyptus oil to steam it up. This would remarkably help you loosen up the mucus and you’ll be able to blow it out in no time.
Are There Any Preventive Measures we Can Take?
A lot of people also use humidifier nowadays. Even when you haven’t shown any signs of sinus infection, keeping just the right amount of humidity inside your home prevents you from easily catching sinusitis. Dust mites may trigger allergic reactions which are on a higher possibility when your room is either too humid or too dry.
If humidifier is out of your budget, then you can simply keep your home well-ventilated. Opening up your home to allow the air to circulate is really good – except on seasons where pollens may be common. Avoid smoking inside the house or using products with really strong fumes such as hairsprays because this can only make your sinus infection worse. If your sinus infection is caused by the season, avoid going out if not really necessary, or at least prepare the things that you might need in order to lessen the chances of inhaling pollens in the air.
Most importantly, strengthening your immune system should be the most effective way to avoid getting your sinus infected (basically an effective way to avoid getting sick in general). Eating nutritious foods – particularly certain kinds of fruits – is proven helpful in keeping your body healthy. When your immune system is naturally strong because of your good eating habits, then you are less likely to easily catch any virus. You may also take Vitamin C to boost your ability to fight off cold virus. This should be easy as there are countless brands that you can buy over-the-counter; you just have to choose which works best for your body. Other supplements such as oregano oil, too, may be effective.
Important Factors to Keep in Mind
- Avoid drinking alcohol and caffeinated drinks while you are on prescribed antibiotics or any sort of medicine, as alcohol intake reduces its effectiveness which makes the entire course useless.
- While other medicines are available over-the-counter, it is much better to ask your doctor first if you have certain allergies or condition. This is to avoid unpleasant reactions because a medicine’s effectiveness also depends on the individual’s health.
- For a maximum result, never miss your dose on a given time. Make sure you check the labels and that you fully understand the instructions, particularly on the amount of dose that you are supposed to take.
- If you suddenly feel that there’s something wrong in your body after taking your meds, observe how it affects you. If you show severe symptoms that you are not familiar with, do not hesitate to consult your doctor.
- Some antibiotics or medicines are not to be taken by pregnant women – doctors usually recommend a certain brand for these kinds of patients.
Sinus infection is a common problem that many people in the world suffer from. It is necessary for us to fully understand the medicines, supplements and brands we are taking to avoid further complications. Moreover, practice the habit of checking the content and label of the medicine you are planning to take, and ask the right people (doctors, pharmacists) about your symptoms in order to find which brand would be most effective based on your condition. A medicine’s effectiveness usually depends on the patient’s symptoms – how light or severe they are or how long have you been feeling them. If these signs persist, then it is probably the right time to set a doctor’s appointment.