Whey is exceptional in promoting muscle growth and aids in weight loss. But whey protein also has nutritional and therapeutic benefits. It is packed with essential amino acids, antioxidants, vitamin D, and Omega-3 which are essential for muscle repair and rebuilding. Whey is an immunity booster and has anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial properties. The Lactoferrin content of whey protein helps inhibit the growth and spread of bacteria, viruses, and fungus. Lactoferrin also helps reduce cholesterol levels in the body.
Whey protein is a great supplement together with exercise and is absorbed by the body much quicker than other forms of protein. Leucine, which is about 12% of the amino acids in whey protein, helps stimulate muscle growth. We naturally lose a significant amount of Leucine in our body when we do high-intensity workouts. Thus, taking whey protein supplement before or during workouts helps replenish Leucine. It also helps reduce cravings as it is highly satiating.
We have listed below our top ten picks for the best whey protein powder for men.
OPTIMUM NUTRITION GOLD STANDARD 100% WHEY
Gold Standard 100% Whey by Optimum Nutrition contains 24g of whey protein, 5.5g of naturally occurring BCAAs (Branched-chain Amino Acids), 4g of glutamine. This is also Gluten free.
Gold Standard 100% Whey is instantized, so it mixes easily. You have over 20 different flavors to choose from and enjoy first thing in the morning, and before and after a workout. Gold Standard 100% Whey is easily absorbed by the body. Just mix one rounded scoop with 6 to 8 ounces of cold water to help recover and rebuild muscles.
- It has low calorie and low lactose content per serving.
- OPTIMUM NUTRITION GOLD STANDARD 100% WHEY contains lactase to help break down
- It contains three kinds of whey protein: isolates, concentrate, and peptides.
- It also contains BCAAs to help in recovery and muscle growth.
- It is tasty and provides its drinkers with a wide variety of flavors to choose from.
- It has less than one gram of fat and is also low in calories, cholesterol, carbohydrates, and sugar.
- It mixes fast with either water or milk. It is comparatively inexpensive too.
- GOLD STANDARD 100% WHEY contains artificial sweeteners, lecithin, and soy.
MuscleTech NITRO-TECH 100% WHEY
NITRO-TECH 100% WHEY by MuscleTech contains 24g of whey protein, 5.5g of BCAAs, and 4g of glutamine and precursor. It comes in 2.2lb and 5.5lb sizes. Just mix 1 scoop with 5oz. of cold water or milk and drink it between meals and pre and post-workouts.
NITRO-TECH 100% WHEY uses cold microfiltration process to remove more fat, carbohydrates, and lactose. This process is better compared to other conventional methods that use heat, acids, or salts. It is great-tasting without the extra sugar and carbs. NITRO-TECH 100% WHEY uses two kinds of whey proteins, whey peptides and whey isolate. They are easily digested by the body to help in recovery after workout and promote muscle building.
- NITRO-TECH 100% WHEY is $0.75 per serving and $.031 per gram of protein as compared to ON Gold Standard 100% Whey’s $0.79 per serving and $.033 per gram of protein.
- It contains BCAAs which is essential for stamina and recovery after a workout.
- NITRO-TECH 100% WHEY has high cholesterol and sodium level.
OPTIMUM NUTRITION PLATINUM HYDROWHEY
PLATINUM HYDROWHEY by OPTIMUM NUTRITION contains 30g of Protein, 8.8g of BCAAs (Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine), 15.5 essential Amino Acids. It is made purely of hydrolyzed whey protein isolates (larger proteins are broken down into smaller pieces) for rapid absorption enabling the body to recover faster after a workout. PLATINUM HYDROWHEY can be taken first thing in the morning, and before and workouts.
PLATINUM HYDROWHEY comes in 7 flavors (Turbo Chocolate, Chocolate Mint, Velocity Vanilla, Cookies & Cream Overdrive, Red Velvet Cake, Supercharged Strawberry, Chocolate Peanut Butter). It is lactose-free and a great source of essential amino acids (tryptophan, valine, threonine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine) for muscle repair. It is instantized, so it can be mixed easily.
- Great in recovering after training and rebuild muscles after an intense
- Good for those with lactose and gluten intolerance.
- PLATINUM HYDROWHEY makes the body feel full thus helping in consuming less food and calories.
- Good tasting product and has serval flavors to choose from.
- It contains a high serving of protein (30g) and only 1g of fat and 3g of carbs. It has no cholesterol and
- It may not be the best value for its price.
CELLUCOR COR-PERFORMANCE WHEY
COR-PERFORMANCE WHEY by CELLUCOR is an optimal source of protein for lean muscle building and nutrient replenishment. Each serving provides 24g of protein and digestive enzymes. Its great tasting and comes in dessert-inspired flavors including Molten Chocolate, Cinnamon Swirl, and Peanut Butter Marshmallows. It is also good as a snack and meal replacement.
COR-PERFORMANCE WHEY is low on carbs and fat. It has 130 calories, 4g carbs, 1g fat, 5.2g BCAAs and is gluten-free.
- It has low sugar and fat content with a good blend of whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate.
- While it’s pricier than Optimum Nutrition and MuscleTech, it is relatively cheaper compared to other known brands.
- The three digestive enzymes may be beneficial especially for those with lactose intolerance.
- It is tasty, thanks to its dessert-inspired flavors.
- It mixes very well and is not too frothy.
- It has 159mg sodium and 35mg cholesterol.
- Although they are not very high but still are not considered
- It contains artificial sweeteners and allergens like peanut, milk, and soy.
MUSCLE PHARM COMBAT POWDER ADVANCED TIME RELEASE PROTEIN
COMBAT POWDER ADVANCED TIME RELEASE PROTEIN by MUSCLE PHARM contains 25g of Protein, 5 powerful protein sources, BCAAs (glutamine, leucine, valine, isoleucine), and extra glutamine.
COMBAT POWDER ADVANCED TIME RELEASE PROTEIN contains proteins that digest with varying rates from fast, medium, and slow-releasing. This ensures that amino acids are not only absorbed immediately but is still fed continuously for up to 8 hours after initial intake. Hydrolyzed whey proteins get absorbed quickly by the body, while Micellar Casein is slowly digested thus providing the body with an amino acid for several hours. This also boosts the immune system to protect the body while engaging in heavy workouts thanks to its whey protein concentrate which contains alpha-lactoglobulins and lactoferrins.
- It has a powerful blend of digestive enzymes (protease and lactase), to help in digestion and absorption of proteins.
- The advanced time released protein is great for getting protein over an extended period that aids in muscle repair and regrowth.
- It is low in calorie, fat, carbs, and sugar content.
- It is a great tasting whey protein product as well.
- It contains 75mg of cholesterol and 150mg of sodium per serving. While is not very high, it is still something to be cautious about.
MUSCLETECH PERFORMANCE SERIES NITRO-TECH
PERFORMANCE SERIES NITRO-TECH by MUSCLETECH contains 30g of Protein, 6.8g of BCAAs, 5g Glutamine and precursor, 3g Creatine. It helps build 70% more lean muscles compared to other whey protein products. It has protein which came from “whey protein peptides” and “whey isolate”.
PERFORMANCE SERIES NITRO-TECH uses a special filtration technology for filtering more fat and lactose. Just mix 1 scoop with 6 ounces of water or milk and drink it between meals and after a workout. For best result, drink daily with 4 scoops for at least six weeks. It is available in 7 flavors like Milk Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla Birthday Cake, with “zero-calorie” sweeteners.
- Creatine combined with whey protein works effectively in muscle building as compared to protein alone.
- It has low sugar and carbs content.
- It combines digestive enzymes and non-essential amino acids for better and efficient protein absorption.
- Lactose intolerant individuals may not take well its whey concentrate. It contains allergens like milk and soy. It has 2.5g of fat, 1.5g of saturated fat, and 140mg of sodium which is slightly higher than the normal average. It also contains carrageenan which is believed to cause inflammation and diabetes.
NAKED NUTRITION – NAKED WHEY
NAKED WHEY by NAKED NUTRITION uses grass-fed whey protein that comes from cows that were fed by 100% organic grass. Grass-fed diet assures that the milk from these cows is non-GMO and non-denature. NAKED WHEY does not have artificial flavors, artificial colors, and sweeteners. NAKED WHEY is soy and gluten free.
NAKED WHEY contains 25g of Protein, 2g of sugar, 3g carbs, 120 calories, and 5.9g BCAAs. NAKED WHEY uses a cold process which ensures no contamination from chemicals like acid or bleach, synthetic additives, and heavy metals.
- NAKED WHEY is made of whey concentrate which makes it a good protein supplement for pre and post-workout.
- It is unflavored, thus no artificial sweeteners and colorings.
- It is also gluten and soy free. Being a grass-fed whey protein, cold processed, and unflavored product makes it an all-natural whey protein supplement.
- Despite the lack of flavoring, NAKED WHEY still tastes great. It also has a good, smooth, rich, and creamy texture, which is uncommon to other less pricey protein powders.
- With its great quality comes a quite expensive price tag.
- Some complained about the mixability, stating that it does not mix well with water as it is with milk.
- For those who are going purely organic, it should be noted that this product is not yet GMO-free certified.
SYNTHA-6 by BSN is a great tasting whey protein powder made a high-quality protein that contains 22g protein each serving. It is available in 10 flavors including Peanut Butter Crunch and Mocha Latte. To enjoy this whey protein powder supplement, just mix 2 scoops with 8 oz -10 oz of cold water or milk. The recommended daily servings are 2-4 but one can also take it as needed.
SYNTHA-6 contains 200 calories, 15g carbs, 6g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, and 2g sugar. This product combines six types of fast (ultra-filtered whey protein concentrate) and slow (calcium caseinate and micellar caseinate) digesting proteins. It also has added digestive enzymes (Aminogen and Papain).
- SYNTHA-6 is able to suppress appetite for a long duration.
- It tastes good either with water or milk.
- The combined slow and fast digesting proteins ensures the sustained release of amino acids in the body.
- Does not mix as easilyß as an instantized whey protein product would.
- Some may feel stomach discomfort as they increase their daily servings.
- It has 220mg of sodium and 70mg of cholesterol per serving.
- It contains allergens like milk, soy, egg, and corn.
- It contains artificial sweeteners and stabilizers.
MUSCLETECH – Phase 8
Phase 8 by MuscleTech is made of 7 high-quality protein sources (97% whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, and micellar casein). This protein blend provides protein which is digested in varying phases: the super-fast, fast, medium, slow, and the super slow. This makes Phase 8 a complete protein formula with an 8-hour sustained release and it is anticatabolic which is great for muscle building for a longer period.
MUSCLETECH – Phase 8 can be taken pre and post workouts. A scoop of Phase 8 mixed with 7oz of cold water or milk contains 26g of protein, 5g glutamine, 5.6g BCAAs, 8g of carbs, and 1.5g fat. For optimum results, the ideal daily consumption is 4 scoops for a minimum of 6 weeks.
- Impressive nutritional value and sustained amino acid release formula.
- It has 5.6g of BCAAs for fast recovery and muscle growth.
- Great tasting and is low in fat and sugar content.
- It also has added glutamine.
- High levels of sodium and calorie content.
- This is not ideal for those individuals with lactose intolerance.
- MUSCLETECH – Phase 8 is quite pricey as well.
DYMATIZE ELITE 100% Whey Protein
ELITE 100% Whey Protein by DYMATIZE is packed with 25g protein, 5.5g BCAAs, 140 calories, and it’s gluten-free. ELITE 100% Whey Protein has 2.7g L-Leucine that supports the activation of muscle protein synthesis. Its fast digesting whey protein formula contains whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and whey peptides.
ELITE 100% Whey Protein went through cross-flow microfiltration process that preserved whey protein’s muscle building properties such as alpha-lactalbumin, beta-lactoglobulin, serum albumins, and immunoglobulins. It comes in 10 flavors such as café mocha, chocolate fudge, rich chocolate, strawberry blast, gourmet vanilla, and vanilla cupcake. To enjoy this whey protein formula, just add one scoop to 6 oz – 8 oz of water or milk. It can be taken pre and post workout or anytime as desired.
- The mixability makes it great for mixing with meals and shake.
- It contains less sugar, fat, and by-products.
- It is tasty but not too sweet.
- It is one of the best value whey protein products with its 25 servings and 25g of protein per serving.
- It contains allergens like soy and milk.
- High in cholesterol.
What is Whey Protein?
Milk contains 80% casein protein and 20% whey protein. Whey protein is extracted from whey which is the liquid part of milk that is separated during cheese processing.
Who Needs Whey Protein?
Anyone can benefit from whey protein. However, whey protein greatly benefits bodybuilders, gym enthusiasts, individuals needing to lose extra pounds, and those who are protein deficient. It is a convenient and often delicious way of adding protein to anyone’s diet.
What is the Benefit Of Whey Protein?
Whey protein is loaded with amino acids which are essential to muscle growth. It helps stabilize sugar levels and reduce food cravings. Whey protein boosts immunity and glutathione levels.
What are the Possible Sangers of Taking Whey Protein?
When taken excessively, whey protein can cause side effects like abdominal discomfort, cramps, fatigue, acne, and headache. Some whey protein products may contain high levels of toxic heavy metal as well. It is not ideal for individuals with lactose intolerance.
What are the Types of Whey Protein?
Whey protein has three types based on how they have been processed. Whey concentrate is about 70-80% protein and contains some lactose and fat. Whey protein isolate is about 90% protein and has less lactose and fat. Whey protein hydrolysate or hydrolyzed whey is predigested making it easily and quickly absorbed by the body.
What are BCAAs?
BCAAs or branched-chain amino acids are essential amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, and valine) that help in the preservation of muscle glycogen that fuels the muscles and lessens the protein breakdown resulting from extensive exercise.
What Makes a Good Whey Protein Powder Supplement?
A good whey protein powder supplement should be affordable enough for daily consumption. It should have a taste that is good enough to be taken daily. And lastly, it should contain the essentials nutrients that matches your needs.
Is Whey Protein vegan?
Whey protein is extracted from milk, so this makes it not vegan. For vegan bodybuilders and athletes, they can instead opt for vegan protein powder supplements which may contain soy, hemp, or pea protein.
How Does Whey Protein Help in Weight Loss?
Whey protein helps cut food cravings and boosts metabolism by 80 to 100 calories per day.
Important Factors To Keep In Mind
- Possible Side Effects of Excessive Whey Protein Intake
Whey is relatively safe for children and adult when taken orally. There are possible side effects, however, when taken in large doses. You might experience nausea, tiredness, feeling bloated, cramps, increase in bowel movements, headache. Also, stay away from whey protein if you are allergic to cow’s milk.
- Antibiotics and Whey Protein
Whey protein may decrease the effectiveness and absorption of certain antibiotics when it interacts with them. This brings the need to take the antibiotic medication hours before or after taking whey protein supplement. Seek advice from your physician to learn more about antibiotics interaction with whey protein.
- Balancing Whey Protein intake with Water
Whether you are in a high protein diet or taking whey protein supplement, you need to always keep yourself hydrated. That means, drinking more than the usual eight glasses of water a day. Your body will need larger amounts of water to absorb the protein and get rid of excess nitrogen. These also ensure that you do not hurt your kidney or develop kidney stones because of high protein diet. Consult with a health expert on proper hydration while taking whey protein.
- Watch out for weight gain
It’s possible for you to gain weight if you regularly take whey protein supplement and not do regular exercises. Whey protein powder still contains calories, so you still need to burn them or otherwise experience weight gain.
- Whey Protein and Gout
Consuming whey protein supplement alone may not cause you to develop gout. However, those who already have or has a history of gout in the family should watch their whey protein intake. Whey protein powder also packs in a large concentration of amino acids which could contribute to or worsen the situation of people already suffering from gout.
Whey protein does a good job in boosting immunity, aiding in weight loss, and promoting lean muscle growth. But before we consume any whey protein powder supplement, we should make sure that we take only those that are made of premium-quality and purest sources. We should also make it a habit to check the labels to ensure that the whey protein product that we consume answers our nutritional needs.
What do you think?