Last Updated: 12th October 2016
Pearly white teeth is a part of your all round well-groomed look. Be it an interview, party or normal outings your confident smile speaks volumes. The bedrock of a healthy smile is your perfect set of white teeth.
Here are some great DIY ideas for teeth whitening, try them and smile your way to success. After all, a healthy mouth is an indicator of your overall wellbeing.
This process removes discoloration and stains and whitens teeth. Teeth whitening is the most popular cosmetic dental procedure. Who doesn’t want to show off their perfect white pearly teeth? Teeth whitening is not a one-time procedure you have to repeat it from time to time to maintain the brighter color.
Causes Of Discoloration
The color of your teeth is caused by the reflection and scattering of light by the enamel combined with the color of the dentin. If you have thinner enamel more of the color of dentin shows through. The smoothness and roughness of enamel affect the reflection of light and therefore the color.
A thin coating called pellicle forms on the enamel and picked up the stains, and this is an everyday occurrence. There are pores in the enamel that holds stains. Tobacco, coffee, tea, cola, red wine, aging and poor dental care can lead to staining of teeth.
Intrinsic stains occur on the inside of the tooth. It can be due to exposure to too much of fluoride and tetracycline antibiotics. Tooth whitening is more effective on extrinsic or surface stains.
Top tips to protect your pearly whites
- Carbohydrates break into simple sugars, and the bacteria converts them into plaque. Eat carbohydrates during meal times because you produce more saliva which washes away food particles.
- Don’t brush after drinking soda or any acidic beverage. It can harm your enamel. Sip water and then brush.
- Increase your vitamin C intake; it’s important for your gum health.
- Drink tea because the antioxidants present are good for your gums.
- Sip acidic drinks through a straw to prevent them eroding your dental enamel.
- Increase your calcium intake.
- Have an apple a day; it scrubs away stubborn stains.
- Dental researchers say that the chlorine in the swimming pool can erode your enamel. So take proper precautions.
- Go for whole grains; they tend to keep your teeth healthier longer.
Best DIY Tips to Naturally Whiten your teeth
1. Natural Teeth Whitening Scrub
Activated charcoal is the reheated, oxidized version of the stuff you buy for summer cookouts. “It’s quite messy, but it does strip away stains and plaque to make your teeth appear whiter,” says Joseph Banker, a New Jersey-based cosmetic dentist.
- Two tablespoons melted coconut oil
- One tablespoon baking soda
- Five capsules activated charcoal.
- Mix the coconut oil activated charcoal and baking soda into a small glass jar. Stir them well.
- Allow it to become cool. Scoop out ¼- ½ tsp in a toothbrush and brush your teeth for 1-2 minutes. Afterward, you can brush with normal toothpaste.
- You can use this scrub for 2-3 times a week.
“Baking soda can be abrasive for sensitive teeth, so you can leave it out if your teeth are sensitive,” says Dr. Alex, the founder of digprimal.com. The coconut oil forms a suitable medium for gritty things like charcoal and baking soda.
2. Baking Soda
Lemon Juice And Baking Soda Teeth Whitener
Baking soda is a weak alkaline compound, and it fights bad breath. It is pocket-friendly and is an attractive option because baking soda polishes your teeth, makes it white and removes plaque. You can use baking soda twice a week because of its abrasive nature.
Lemon is a natural bleaching agent. Lemon juice can be used periodically to whiten teeth. Don’t overdo it because it is acidic and corrosive in nature and some experts say that lemon juice can harm your enamel. If you are very concerned, then you can lighten the concentration of lemon juice with water.
After brushing rinse off thoroughly and brush with normal toothpaste to lessen the corrosive action of lemon juice.
- Three teaspoons of baking soda
- Enough lemon juice or water to form paste
- Mix the baking soda and lemon juice and form a paste. Take the required paste in the toothbrush and brush your teeth. Leave it for 30 seconds and rinse off thoroughly.
The above combination is a great tooth whitening agent. Mix half a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide with one teaspoon of baking soda to the consistency of toothpaste. Brush your teeth and rinse off. Make sure you use hydrogen peroxide 3% solution, and this is safe to use orally.
A study published in the Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry says that the use of hydrogen peroxide-based tooth whitening products are found to be safe and do not increase the risk of oral cancer.
You can mix baking soda with your regular toothpaste to get the whitening benefits. Place the regular amount of paste on your tooth brush and sprinkle some baking soda on top, then brush as normal.
3. Whitening Toothpaste
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate- can cause irritation of the eyes and skin, organ toxicity, neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption, ecotoxicology, and biochemical or cellular changes and more.
- GMO Soy Lethicin
- Xylitol made from GMO corn
- Flouride- Can have a negative effect on bones, brain, reproductive system, and even your IQ!
- Glycerin- (Found even in most “healthy” toothpaste) Coats your teeth, and prevents them from remineralizing.
- So if the toothpaste at the store has all this yucky stuff in it, what are we supposed to do? ENTER- HOMEMADE WHITENING TOOTHPASTE!
- So, I have been using homemade clay-based toothpaste for quite a while now, and I’m here to say- it’s awesome”!
- Two tablespoons of Bentonite clay
- Ten drops of peppermint essential oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- I tablespoon of organic unrefined coconut oil
- Two capsules of activated charcoal
- One dropper full of organic liquid stevia
- ¼ tsp of organic ground cloves
- 2 ½ tablespoons of filtered water
- To make the toothpaste toddler-friendly, you can omit the peppermint oil.
- Open the charcoal capsules and mix all the ingredients in a glass container, do not use plastic or metal.
- Mix with a wood or rubber spoon.
- Store in a cool dark place.
- You’ll need a few brushing sessions to get used to this taste.
4. Turmeric Teeth Whitener
Turmeric is very effective that it kills oral cancer cells. It can be used to treat gingivitis with astonishing results. The Journal of Natural Science, Biology and Medicine says that turmeric can be beneficial for dental pain. It is a bit abrasive and acts as great whitening agent.
- Organic turmeric powder
- Wash your brush and dip it in 1/8th turmeric powder. Brush your teeth and allow the turmeric to sit in for 3-5 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Follow it up with your regular toothpaste.
- Heather, the founder of mommypotamus, writes, “I think this homemade tooth soap is the most effective at removing the turmeric.” You can also rinse off with mouthwash to get rid of the slight yellow tint.
Turmeric toothpaste recipe
- ¼ tsp organic turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp melted coconut oil
- Mix the above ingredients and this becomes your toothpaste. Dip your brush in the paste and brush teeth as normal. Allow it to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Spit and rinse thoroughly. Do a second brushing with normal toothpaste.
- To get rid of the slightly yellow tint, wash your mouth with homemade tooth soap or mouthwash.
5. Coconut Oil Rinse
Rinsing your mouth with coconut oil is an old unique method that people use to whiten teeth. The lauric acid in the coconut oil gets rid of the bacteria found in plaque that can make your teeth yellow. It promotes gum health and keeps your breath fresh. Coconut oil pulling may benefit your mouth microbiome.
All you need is a tablespoon of coconut oil.
Before you brush your teeth scoop out some coconut oil, you can either melt it or use as such. Just put it in your mouth and pull the oil through and around your teeth for 10 minutes.
Spit it out and rinse well and brush your teeth.
Coconut oil pulling chews with turmeric
- 1/3 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- ¼-1 tsp ground turmeric
- Essential oils. You can use spearmint, peppermint and myrrh essential oils (15-30 drops).
- Clove leaf, clove bud and cinnamon leaf essential oils (9 -10 drops)
- Melt the coconut oil and stir in the turmeric and the essential oils of your choice.
- Pour the mixture into ice cubes or silicone candy trays. Make sure each piece should be one tsp to 1 tablespoon in volume.
- Once you wake up, place 1-3 chews in your mouth and swish for 5-20 minutes. Spit it out in the garbage once you’ve finished. Rinse with water and brush as normal.
6. Strawberry, Salt, And Baking Soda Scrub
According to Health.com, the secret to this inexpensive whitening treatment is malic acid. The malic acid acts as an astringent and removes the surface discoloration of your teeth.
- 1-3 large strawberries
- A pinch of salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Mash the berries. Add a pinch of salt and baking soda.
- Apply a generous portion of the mixture to a toothbrush and apply.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes and then rinse it off.
- It is best to apply this treatment once a week because strawberries contain high concentrations of citric acid. The citric acid could damage the enamel of your teeth. So don’t overdo it.
- You can also use one strawberry and ½ tablespoon baking soda and follow the above directions.
Walnuts work wonders for your oral health. They have a huge list of oral friendly compounds such as folic acid, iron, fiber, magnesium, thiamine, niacin, vitamin B6, potassium, vitamin E, and zinc.
Walnut tree bark powder
Crush the bark of the walnut tree and make it into a powder. You can use this powder along with regular toothpaste. Use this walnut bark powder a couple of times a week. It helps to whiten your teeth and prevent plaque formation.
Walnut shell tooth whitener
- 40 grams walnut shells
- 250 ml water
- Cook the walnut shells in the water for 20 minutes on medium heat. After 20 minutes remove the pan from the heat.
- Allow it to cool and strain the water. Leave your toothbrush in this solution for 10 minutes. Then brush your teeth. You need to dip the brush occasionally to make it moist. Repeat this procedure three times a day. You can use this decoction for two days, after that you have to prepare a new one. It is good for those suffering from bleeding gums.
- One tablespoon nature’s sea calcium
- 15 drops of Nature’s fresh spray enzyme
- 5-6 drops of liquid black walnut extract
- 5-6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- A pinch of xylitol (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients and store in a squeezable bottle.
8. All Natural Whitening + Remineralizing Toothpaste
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil
- Four tsp bentonite clay
- 3 tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 tbsp. baking soda
- Four tsp calcium magnesium powder
- 12 drops trace elements
- 15 drops essential oils (3 drops each of cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint, myrrh, and clove)
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler. Remove from heat after the coconut oil is melted.
- Add all the ingredients using a wooden or plastic spoon. Mix everything together.
- The consistency will be runny but uniform.
- Be assured that it will harden into a thick paste upon cooling.
- Keep it in a fridge and after 15 minutes transfer into squeezable silicone tubes.
- You can add liquid stevia or xylitol to enhance the taste.
Commercial tooth whiteners contain dicalcium phosphate dehydrate, alumina and silica. They also contain enzymes that break down the biofilm of the teeth. Long term usage causes thinning of enamel.
The above-discussed DIY alternatives are safe to use. You can use them a couple of times a week to maintain the brightness of your teeth. Include lots of apples, carrots and celery in your diet they whiten teeth and gives fresh breath.
It is ideal to try the natural remedies before anything else. Aside from the fact that you’re sure that these are natural and have no side effects, the ingredients you need are highly available and can be mostly found in the comforts of your home.