Share this Image On Your Site
The humble pine nut is enjoying a renaissance as research on it continues to reveal its numerous benefits.
It’s highly nutritious and high in calories, making it a satiating snack option that’s low-carb and high in healthy fats.
Here are some fun, useful and interesting facts about this popular nut:
- Pine nuts come from the pine tree which is scientifically known as the Pinaceae, genus Pinus plants.
- A single serving of pine nuts offers 198 calories, 19 grams of fats, 1.6 milligrams of iron, and 3.7 grams of carbohydrates.
- Pine nuts are beneficial at reducing bad cholesterol levels.
- Pine nuts are an essential part of a healthy diet and have been shown to assist in weight loss and in keeping the weight off afterward by providing a healthy snack option.
- Thanks to their high magnesium content, pine nuts are excellent for lowering blood pressure.
- Pine nuts are high in vitamin K, which is very beneficial to bone health.
- Native Americans have been harvesting pine nuts from the ancient pinyon tree in America’s Great Basin.
- There are typically about 20 different pine tree species found in North America which all offer edible pine nuts.
- For best results, try to purchase your pine nuts pre-shelled.