It’s a fact that people always want to look and feel their best. Taking steps towards acquiring a healthy and fit core will help accomplish this. Obtaining a slimmer waist is not an easy task, but it is entirely achievable. All that’s needed is patience, commitment, and the right exercises. To get a slimmer waist, one doesn’t need expensive equipment. All a person needs to know is which routines to include in the workout. Here’s a helpful guide:
6-Minute Abs Workout Routine
There are many different exercises which strengthen the core. These will help a person achieve a slimmer waist. Here’s a great routine to follow, and it only takes 6 minutes! Do each of these exercises for 30 seconds to a minute and remember to keep consistency.
Squat and Reach
- Start the squat and reach by placing both feet apart. Make sure the feet are a bit wider than the hips, and the toes are pointed forward at a slight outward angle.
- When doing the exercise, the body’s weight should be on the heels. Then, sit back to do a deep squat. The knees should not go past the toes.
- While in the deep squat, raise both arms over the head. Hold the position for a few seconds then go back to the starting position.
- Repeat this cycle 12-15 times.
Plank-up On Your Side
- Start the plank up by lying on the floor sideways. Stack the legs up and place a rolled-up towel in between the thighs. Prop the torso on the elbow making sure that the forearm is in a perpendicular position.
- Slowly lift the hips to form a straight line with the body. When doing this, contract the thighs to squeeze the towel in between. Hold the position for 1-3 seconds then slowly lower back down.
- Do this3 times then switch sides. Do 2 cycles for each side.
- Start the v-sit by lying on the floor. Reach the arms at the sides rigidly, keeping them off the floor.
- Slowly raise the legs, keeping the toes pointed. Do this until they’re at a 45-degree angle. Raise the head and shoulders off the floor too.
- Then raise the upper torso and bend the knees. To make this exercise easier, come up more. To make the exercise more challenging, lean back.
- Gradually lower the upper torso back to the floor while making the legs straight.
- Make sure only the back is on the floor, not the legs, shoulders, and head.
- Repeat this exercise 25 times.
- Start the fly up by sitting on the floor.
- Gently lean back and rest on the elbows. Place the feet flat on a wall side by side. Also, make sure that the knees are bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Stretch the legs up, still keeping the feet against the wall. Press the lower back against the floor while squeezing the abs.
- Raise the arms, reaching towards the feet while the elbows are soft.
- Pulse the body by curling the torso up and down for 15 seconds.
- Do this3 times, taking 5-second rests in between.
- Start by lying on the floor. Press the lower back to the floor and place the hands behind the head.
- Lift the knees towards the chest then raise the shoulders off the floor.
- Stretch one leg while twisting the upper body the opposite way. The elbow should meet the opposite knee, making sure to move the rib cage.
- Then, repeat the process using the other leg.
- Do this for about 25-30 times.
Flat on the Back
- Start by sitting on the floor. The lower back should be in contact with a wall. Bend the knees slightly and plant the feet far apart.
- Place both hands on the floor, in between the legs and contract the abs.
- Press the hands down to the floor and lift the feet. Hold the position for 5-10 seconds.
- Do this 5-6 times.
Pair These Workouts With a Healthy Diet
To be able to achieve a slimmer waist, a person needs to lose weight too. Exercise is key but when the diet remains uncontrolled, results might not be seen. It’s vital to pair the exercise routine with a healthy diet. If possible, reduce the daily caloric intake. Otherwise, a person may even make substitutions in the diet. Choose healthier foods for every meal.
To be able to shed of 1 pound, a person needs to cut out about 3,500 calories from the daily diet. Health experts say that the best way to lose weight is to shed off a pound or two a week. It’s never a good idea to go on a crash diet or any other kinds of diets which promise fast results. People who consume whole grains are more likely to lose belly fat than those who don’t. Rather than going for refined or processed grains, it’s better to go for the whole ones.
Start the day with a balanced and healthy breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. People who want to lose weight must consume a greatbreakfast. This energizes the body, kicking off the metabolism in the morning. It allows the body to burn more calories for the rest of the day. Eating a healthy breakfast will also keep a person feeling full longer.
Another good tip is to drink a glass of water right before each meal. Doing this avoids confusion in the body. Sometimes, the body can confuse hunger with thirst, and so a person tends to eat more. Satisfy the thirst first so as not to end up eating too much. Aside from this, drinking water keeps the body hydrated, which is also important.
It’s also quite helpful to eat smaller but more frequent meals. A lot of people starve themselves in between meals. When mealtime comes along, they end up eating more because they feel hungrier. Eating small and frequent meals prevents one from feeling very hungry. Just make sure that the meals are small. Doing this also awakens the metabolism. It allows the body to burn more calories throughout the day.
Make sure to consume healthy fats. A person doesn’t need to cut out all fats from the diet just to lose weight. But, eating the right amount of healthy fat is vital as it helps a person lose weight. One example of a healthy fat is Omega-3. This can be found in different kinds of fish, tofu, canola oil, and even walnuts. These foods even enhance the functions of the brain and lower the levels of bad cholesterol.
Aside from good fats, also make sure to incorporate a lot of fiber in the diet. Foods which are rich in fiber are important for a healthy diet. They help with digestion and allow for better bowel movements. This means that blockages and bloating are minimized. Fiber-rich foods also help a person feel fuller for a longer time. They are also lower in calories as compared to other kinds of foods.
Also, stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Controlling portion sizes won’t be as effective if a person eats these kinds of foods. Eating healthy will give faster and better results. The reason for this is that processed foods contain more starch and sugar. This hinders weight loss and may even lead to the build-up of damaging toxins.
Products which claim to be non-fat should also be avoided. Such products may be low in fat, but they usually contain more sugar and empty carbohydrates. These products usually have little to no nutritional value. It’s important to check the nutritional information of any food. Do this before consuming it.
Valuable Health Tips
There are many other steps a person can take to achieve a slimmer waist. In doing these, a person will be able to trim down and become healthier too. Here are some valuable health tips to consider:
- Limit or avoid alcohol consumption. When a person drinks alcohol, the liver processes it before the healthier components such as proteins and carbohydrates. This means that the mere presence of alcohol in the system slows down the fat-burning process.
- Anxiety and stress force the body to produce more cortisol. This is a specific hormone which encourages fat storage in the body, especially in the belly area. To lessen the stress levels, try some deep-breathing exercises when feeling overwhelmed.
- Drink some green tea. Lots of studies have shown that the antioxidants found in this drink aids in speeding up metabolism. It’s also known to target belly fat in particular. People who are trying to lose weight should drink a cup or two a day.
- It’s also important to get enough sleep. Lack of sleep slows down a person’s metabolism. Aside from this, people who are sleep deprived have fat cells which are resistant to insulin. Having these kinds of subcutaneous cells typically leads to weight gain.
- Finally, try laughing more! When a person laughs, his abs contract. So people who laugh a lot can work out their midsection too. It’s a great way to de-stress and contract those abs without effort.
More Useful Exercises to Strengthen the Core and Achieve a Slimmer Waist
It’s important to stay committed to the routine. Do this to achieve the much-desired slim waist. Some people though, are unable to do the exercises listed above. Here are more great exercises to incorporate into the routine. It’s possible to mix them up and vary the routine. Just make sure to target the abs and nearby areas.
- Start by sitting on the floor. The shoulder blades should be in contact with the wall, and the back is rounded.
- Bend the knees and place the feet on the floor. Place the hands flat on the floor right next to the hips.
- Contract the abs and raise the feet. Pull the knees towards the chest then stretch the legs. The toes should be pointing upward.
- Pulse the abs by pushing the legs closer to the wall then farther.
- Do this for 25-30 seconds, rest then repeat.
- Start in a plank position. Make sure the feet are lined up with the hips.
- Lower the body then push back up, going back to the plank position.
- Twist to one side then reach the arm towards the ceiling. Make sure the pelvis is steady.
- Go back to the plank position then twist to the other side.
- Do the cycles 10-15 times.
- Start by lying on the floor facing the ceiling. Place a folded towel on the back and bend the knees. Place the arms at the sides and feet on the floor.
- Cross one ankle on the other thigh, right above the knee. The bent knee should be pointing towards the side.
- Flex the foot on the floor so that only the heel is in contact with it.
- Round the lower back and contract the abs.
- Raise the hips until the pelvis tilts upward. Curl the pelvis as far as possible, making sure not to arch the back.
- Do this 8-10 times and hold the position on the last time. Repeat the cycle 3
- Start by standing in front of a wall. Legs should be pressed together, with a rolled-up towel right between the thighs.
- Bend the knees slightly and bend forward at the hips. Stretch the arms and place hands flat on the wall.
- Contract the abs and thighs then rise on tiptoes. Do 15-20 pulses by lowering and raising hips.
- Go back to the starting position, rest for a while then repeat the cycle 2 more times.
- Start by lying on the floor with the hands at the sides.
- Bring the knees towards the chest, keeping the feet together.
- Contract the abs so that the hips curl off the floor. Hold for 1-3 seconds then lower the hips back to the floor.
- Keep doing this for 1 whole minute.
Twist and Curl
- Start by sitting on the floor. Bend the knees and place the feet flat on the floor. Lean back and rest on the elbows.
- Press down the lower back, contract the abs then twist and curl the torso towards one side.
- Raise the hands and hold on to the outside of the thigh.
- Release the thigh and do 15-20 pulses. Do this by curling the torso up and down.
- Go back to the starting position and repeat the cycle on the other side.