Overweight? Obese? We all know the consequences of these conditions. Belly fat has always been one mortal enemy in all our lives, and it is about time to get rid of it. These days, there are more than enough platforms to solve this problem Choose one, engage with determination and surprise everyone. When a person puts his mind to something, nothing is impossible.
Either one has so much or less body fat; it’s good advice to get rid of it. Body fat can be found anywhere in the body. Just under the skin, in much deeper tissues, around the heart, in the liver, and other organs. But for those who need to avoid these occurrences, they should concern themselves with those visceral fats or those found deeper inside. These are the ones that can cause you health problems.
To determine a precise measurement of how much body fat a person has, go the hospital and have a CT scan or an MRI. It will cost a lot, but then, we are talking about precision. But there is a simpler way and will cost nothing but a measuring tape. While in a standing position, wrap the tape around the waist. Make sure that it is level and that it passes the navel. For men, the girth should be no more than 40 inches. For women, 35 inches.
The shape of the body should also be considered as it can also provide information on one’s health. A “pear shape,” where the thighs and hips are larger than the belly is considered much safer as against an “apple shape” wherein the person has a wider waistline. The more one has abdominal fat means that he also has more visceral fat, something that should be avoided.
For the skinnier ones, don’t get too confident. Even those on the normal weight range can also have some visceral fat. This may have something to do with their genetic make-up or maybe because of their lifestyle, especially those who are very active.
It may come as a surprise that thin people can also develop visceral fat. Even if they watch their diets, the absence of exercise will lead to the amassing of visceral fat, a fat which loves inactivity. No matter what size a person is, big or small, thin or fat, the key to avoiding fat accumulation is exercise or being active.
The Exercises to Perform
Everybody could be so envious when they see flat bellies, with or without the six-packs. It’s a visual affirmation that such people take care of themselves through exercise and diets. But brush aside the vanity aspect of flat bellies. Just bear in mind that a flat torso is a sign that one is strong and less prone to injuries.
Always ask for advice when planning to start an exercise plan. If a person wants to create a lean, rock-solid waistline, should start by targeting the right muscles and this includes those between the shoulders and hips. For starters, try these 10 simple exercises to work out these muscles. These exercises will also rev up your metabolism.
Losing the gut means working out a lot of muscles, and the burpee may just be the exercise to achieve this. This hard-impact activity, which includes push-ups and jumping jacks will certainly hit every muscle from the head to the toes.
- First, stand up with the feet shoulder-width apart.
- Then, slowly lower the body until the palms rest flat on the floor, shoulder-width apart as well.
- Next, kick the legs back into a push-up position.
- Perform the push-up, then reverse the routine.
- On the initial stand position, perform a jumping jack.
- That counts as one rep. Repeat the cycle.
This exercise will involve a rope, a pulley, and some weights.
- Attach the rope connector to a high-pulley cable. Set the suitable weight on the stack.
- Stand directly in front of the cable machine, facing away.
- Grasp the rope from behind the head with the palms facing inward and drop to your knees.
- The buttocks should be resting on top of the feet. Keep elbows bent and hands at either head or shoulder height. Do a crunch as far as possible.
- Pause a few seconds, then gradually lower back to the starting position.
This will involve some strenuous effort. It includes some crunches in a horizontal or push-up position. The arms, shoulders, legs, and abdominal muscles will all take part in this exercise.
- On the onset, assume a push-up position, with the hands below the shoulders. The body should be horizontal, in a straight line from head to heels.
- Lift the right foot off the floor and drive the knee towards the chest. Then tap the floor with the right foot and go back to the starting position.
- Do the same with the left foot. Alternate legs
This exercise is great when building overall core strength. For beginners who do not yet have the strength to do the full plank, start with the knees on the floor. One can later have his knees off the floor when stronger.
- The exercise is a stationary one which will strengthen the entire body core. Get a mat and lie down on your stomach.
- Begin the exercise by propping up the torso, supported by the elbows and feet up on the toes.
- Hold this position for as long as possible, keeping the body completely straight. Return to the face-down position.
- Try to do three one-minute plank sets. To intensify the exercise, extend each plank time for up to three minutes.
This exercise is usually associated and popular in cold regions, maybe because doing it would make one feel the burn effect. Rigorous requirements of the exercise could elevate the heart rate and will work out the muscles.
- First, get into a table-top position. The hands should be directly below the shoulders and
- Dig the toes into the floor and raise the knees so that they hover above the floor.
- Keeping both feet together, jump to the left then pause. Then jump to the right.
- Repeat the cycle for some
Hanging Knee Raise
This is good to develop lower abs. One can hang from anything when doing this exercise. A pull-up bar at home or in the gym is ideal for this lower-abs workout.
- Grip the pull up bar with both hands which should be shoulder-width apart. One can increase the distance if too tall or if the feet are touching the floor.
- Once hanging and the feet are off the floor, gradually and slowly pull the knees up, keeping the legs together.
- Give it a small pause before lowering the knees to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired reps.
Twisting Bench Crunch
This exercise will target the abs and obliques. You will need a mat on the floor and a flat bench positioned at the end of the mat, thus forming a T-shape set-up.
- Lay down on the mat on your back with the legs up on the bench. Be sure the ankles are rested on top of the bench, and the legs should be bent at 90-degrees.
- Touch both sides of the head with the fingertips.
- To start the exercise, lift the shoulder blades slightly off the floor. Then do a crunch on the abs by bringing the right elbow up, towards the left side of the waist.
- Pause that position for a second or two before lowering back to the original position.
- Now repeat with the left elbow.
Do you ever notice that many people with poor posture have bulging tummies? It is often true, but the condition can be fixed with specific exercises like this which can strengthen the core and back at the same time. Holding on to this position will give strength to the back and abs muscles.
- Grab a dumbbell. Get into a push-up position, with both hands under the shoulders. The body should be in a straight line from the head to the heels.
- Keep the feet apart, slightly wider than hip-width and turn them so they both will point to the left.
- With the right palm on the floor, hold the dumbbell with the left hand and do a row. Make sure the torso doesn’t rotate with the dumbbell’s weight.
To achieve the much-desired flat belly, pair these exercises with the right food. Aside from a healthy diet, make sure to consume specific foods which will help promote a flatter belly. Let’s look at those foods next.
The Food to Eat
We all dream of a toned bikini-abs body isn’t that far away. Stick with the belly-trimming exercises religiously. But the movement isn’t the only factor that can get rid of tummy fats. One also needs to watch the foods he eats. Here are great slimming-down foods recommended by experts:
Air Popped Popcorn. Popcorn is not only a delicious snack; it is very nutritious as well. Being a whole grain, it’s fiber-rich. Studies have shown that those who consume whole grains have less body fat than the ones who prefer refined grains.
Beans. This is another super food because it contains proteins, has high-fiber contents, and servings are low in calories. Bean eaters have been found to have slimmer waistlines and even weigh less.
Low-fat chocolate milk. Take some of this delicious drink with when going to the gym. It is a great after work out snack. This beverage contains just the right ratio of proteins and carbohydrates. It will also help build muscle and lose fat.
Mushrooms. Fungi as they are, they are still one of the tastier treats around. They are the only source of natural vitamin D, which is responsible, as research has shown, in lower levels of belly fat.
Non-Fat Greek Yogurt. The great thing about Greek yogurt is that they contain good bacteria (probiotics) whose actions can reduce the presence of bad bacteria in the intestines which are responsible for belly bloating. Furthermore, the Greek type contains more protein than the regular yogurt.
Nuts and Nut Butter. Nuts and nut butter are good sources of monounsaturated fats and therefore are good flat-belly foods since they contain these healthy fats. But don’t over-indulge with nuts. That isn’t advisable either.
Quinoa. This is a relatively new whole grain from South America, but like popcorn, it’s a great tummy reducer. Also, quinoa is the only grain that contains protein and consuming it will make one feel full longer and consequently will fulfill the dream of a flatter belly much sooner.
Other Tips to Help You Out
When making a plan to get rid of that belly fat, be sure to do the right things. Endless crunches plus avoiding unhealthy foods will not all do the trick. Also, some small activities included in one’s daily life can bring about desired changes. Consider these simple ways to flatten that big belly:
Walk while talking. The company need not be held in food and drink sessions. Next time, invite friends to the gym for a workout. It’s always better to exercise with a buddy as it can motivate both parties to work harder. Convince friends to workout weekly. One can even take advantage of gym specials. Further down the down, the person’s relationships will become even closer.
Be the first to order. Try to stay ahead of the pack when dining with friends. Normal-weighted women are more likely to imitate a thin woman’s eating habits than one who is obese. When orders are to be taken, “order first.” This will keep everyone on-track for a flatter tummy.
Stay away from salty foods. Salt will retain water in the body, and too much salt will give a puffy appearance because of such retention. Cut back on salty foods as much as possible to avoid this.
Skip the soda too. Sure, these are bubbly drinks. But have you ever thought where those bubbles end up? There is only one answer, in the belly. And this not only applies to regular sodas but with diet ones too. Junk the sodas, the diet sodas, and seltzers. Drink mineral water instead.
Enjoy a drink or two. Drinking wine has its benefits, but too much of it isn’t recommended. One must remember that too much wine will raise cortisol levels, and this will send fats straight to the belly.
Drink more water. Don’t think that drinking too much of water will add to your weight. Not true. Drinking a lot of water will flush away any bloating that the body may be retaining.
Get enough sleep. Sleeping will help lose belly fat. As studies have shown, those who slept 7 hours or more at night shed twice as much fat against those who slept 7 or less.
Sculpt while you’re sitting. One can apply some exercises even while sitting down. Whether driving, waiting at the clinic and such one can do simple exercises. Imagine there is gum or a wet paint sign at the back of the chair. This will require one to hold himself up, rather than leaning back. Hold this position and feel the burn.