Skincare is not just about keeping your skin beautiful; it is also about protecting it from possible harm caused by exposure to various elements, both chemical and environmental. It is also worth mentioning that certain types of skin cancer usually develop on parts of our body that are commonly exposed to the sun. Often times, our face has a different set of needs, and applying just any kind of product we find on the market doesn’t guarantee effectiveness. What does tanning lotion do? Look it up here!
Below is a list of the best facial sunscreen products of 2018:
Overview: Banana Boat Sunscreen for Men has a scent-neutralizing component for a clean, manly smell, even amidst sweat. It is enriched with Vitamin E and Aloe Vera for a broader UVB and UVA protection.
- For many users, this product smells better than most sunscreen lotions they’ve tried in the past – manly yet not too strong. It smells more like a fragrant lotion, which is good for daily wear; it doesn’t make you smell like you were always ready to swim.
- Quickly absorbed by the skin; it doesn’t have any uncomfortable feeling after application.
- Users from tropical countries do not experience tanning despite the climate, even when they are out on a really sunny day.
- Creamy but not greasy. It moisturizes the skin and leaves it soft even after a workout.
- Gentle both on the face and body. Just put a small amount on your hand and massage it to your face, then you are instantly protected from the sun.
- No need to keep on applying, or at least just twice during the whole day. It is long-lasting, and all you need is a single coat.
- Worth its price.
- Doesn’t cause redness or irritation in the face.
- Products that are designed for men are usually a bit strong, but this works well even for women. Female users have even used this for their whole family.
- This product is living up to its efficiency despite the numerous rival brands in the market.
- The smell clashes with your cologne. Better if non-scented.
- It can feel sticky, depending on how much you put on your skin.
- For those who do not like its smell, it could persist longer until you actually wash it off.
- May actually cause breakouts.
Overview: This product is clinically proven to hydrate your skin, as well as nourish it, for 8 hours – all the while defending it against sunburn. It is formulated with Titanium Oxide which makes it easily absorbed by the skin without leaving any residue. Non-scented and doesn’t cause irritation.
- Apply after shaving (or after applying your aftershave cream) and you’re good for the entire day.
- It doesn’t stain your clothes or sheets even if you fell asleep without washing it off.
- Works not only as a sunblock but also as your daily moisturizer.
- Applying it not only on your face but all over your neck and up to the shoulders may give you the best results. This may even keep you young-looking as too much sun exposure is usually associated with aging.
- Gives you a refreshing feeling after application.
- No stinging sensation even when applied to face with acne.
- A single bottle may last about 3 months, on daily use, which makes it worth the price.
- Recommended by doctors. It works great on users who have had facial laser procedures.
- Doesn’t burn the skin, even give your face a healthy glow.
- Leaves the face greasy/oily.
- Makes the skin bright red; not sure if it is a sign of irritation, but it will burn your face if you leave it longer and not wash it off immediately.
- It makes the face too shiny, making you feel gross. It also doesn’t dry quickly.
- Not your type of moisturizer if you have a naturally dark skin.
- Not smooth and is hard to rub on the skin, unless you rub it over another moisturizer.
- SPF count may be too high; it often leaves the face too white.
Overview: Broad Spectrum SPF 15 to protect your skin and keep it hydrated all day. Dove Men is a non-greasy formula that absorbs on your skin quickly without leaving any sticky feeling. It is specifically designed to keep men’s skin healthy and resilient.
- Works well on dry skin. Some users felt instant relief the moment they apply it on their itchy and flaky face caused by dryness. In just a few minutes, your skin will be moisturized and it usually lasts the entire day.
- Very effective in keeping your skin away from sunburn; for regular users, it also doesn’t trigger breakouts.
- Squeeze just a small amount on your face, especially on the parts that seem to be most prone to sunburn, and you don’t have to reapply anymore.
- Non-greasy and doesn’t smell like the usual sunscreen lotions.
- Great price considering its quality.
- Easily runs off with sweat, so despite the good effect on your skin, it doesn’t last long especially if you are an active (hence sweaty) person.
- It seems to clog the pores, so you need to thoroughly wash it off your face at the end of the day or suffer later on.
- Burns the skin, particularly around the eyes (probably because the skin around the eyes is thinner and more delicate)
- Heavily scented; it may cause nausea, particular for men who have a sensitive sense of smell.
- Each bottle is too small.
Overview: Nivea Men is a light fragrance formula that moisturizes the skin. It is fast absorbing, and Broad Spectrum SPF 15 to protect your skin from harmful rays. It also includes Coenzyme Q10 that helps in maintaining your skin’s healthy glow and elasticity.
- Skin gets noticeably healthier and better, especially during dry winter months.
- Easily accessible, as the product is usually available in leading local markets, such as Target.
- Eliminates the itchy and irritating feeling on the dry skin, particularly on the face, neck, and ears.
- A 50-ml bottle could last up to 2 to 3 months, with moderate use, which makes it quite a bargain.
- The bottle is convenient to carry anywhere you go, even during travels.
- It has a fresh scent; you can go on your day even without wearing cologne.
- Keeps the face neat and fresh when used regularly, after a shower.
- Feels good on the skin – not too oily and becomes visibly smoother.
- For users who regularly commute or ride their motorcycle on a daily basis, this product gives them enough protection they need to keep away from harmful UV rays.
- Best used after shaving. Very light on the face, you’d feel as if your skin was able to breathe.
- The old version was a lot better. This product was introduced as “new and improved” but it only ruined what used to be a great facial sunscreen moisturizer.
- The old version soaks up quite nicely, but this one leaves a greasy feeling.
- Works as a sunblock but doesn’t contain enough components to actually make your skin better. Not enough SPF.
- Some users said applying it to their face has caused their eyes to be irritated. Others even complained it left their eyes itchy, red and puffy. The formula may be too strong that it affects the sensitive parts of your face.
Overview: Its Broad Spectrum SPF 20 sunscreen is for your skin to be smooth enough while fighting the visible signs of aging, which includes rough texture. It’s an all-in-one package, as it doesn’t only work as your daily sunscreen but also a moisturizer; works well in soothing irritation caused but razor and heals dryness to keep your skin young-looking.
- A lot of users really appreciate its matte finish, which makes leaves your face smooth without looking like you’ve actually applied a cream.
- Nothing can beat this product for its quality along with the reasonable price.
- Works best on skin that gets irritated after shaving. It soothes the affected part until the skin relaxes and becomes smooth.
- Works wonders even with men who were skeptic about using any facial cream at first.
- The smell is very light, so it won’t clash with your cologne or anybody fragrance.
- It soaks in the skin perfectly; one can hardly notice that you are actually wearing a sunscreen.
- In some cases, it leaves a white residue on your face.
- The most disappointing Neutrogena product. Too sticky and doesn’t take much effect as it promised. The advertisements are misleading.
- It gets in the eye when you sweat, and it stings. This will eventually cause irritation.
- Some users think it smells like a cheap car freshener, while others are reminded of the smell of antiseptic soap.
Overview: Jack Black Sun Guard Sunscreen absorbs quickly without leaving any residue – won’t also drip into the eyes. It offers both UVA and UVA rays protection and is water resistant. Quite more impressive, Jack Black can retain your SPF even after heavy sweating or doing water activities for a good 80 minutes.
- Doesn’t get sticky and messy even when you sweat a lot. Mostly recommendable for athletes and active people.
- Feels light on the face; doesn’t leave your face feeling coated.
- True to its promise, this sun guard doesn’t drip and irritate the eyes.
- Works well with normal to the fairly sensitive skin.
- Many users like that it is waterproof.
- Excellent ingredients – just the right sunscreen you need on a daily basis.
- Just because it is oil-free doesn’t mean it isn’t greasy.
- May cause breakout and rashes. If you have an existing breakout, it can only make it worse.
Overview: Epicuren Discovery is a moisturizing formula made more effective by Proposes – a component that provides a shield from toxic elements all the while helping your skin appear healthier and more radiant.
- Doesn’t make your face white or leave any residue after application.
- Works well even when you have an existing skin condition such as Rosacea.
- Great for men who love the outdoors.
- A little amount can go a long way. No need to reapply.
- Some users have experienced sudden itch after applying this to their face, even leaving a couple of bumps in the neck.
- Feels greasy and a difficult to wash off.
Overview: New and improved formula from All Good, with Broad Spectrum protection of SPF 30. This product provides up to 80 minutes of resistance from water. It includes rose hips and organic green tea that are both known for skin repair.
- Works well even on sensitive and freckle-prone skin.
- Many users love this because it’s biodegradable and all-natural.
- Good for men who love the beach and the outdoors.
- Doesn’t feel chalky or leave any residue.
- Since it is all-natural, it doesn’t have quite a lot of chemicals which makes it all the more safe to be applied on the face.
- After applying, you need to wait until it fully dries up, or it will make your face white and shiny.
- You need to keep on applying, at least every couple of hours, particularly when you are at the beach. It will leave your skin burnt otherwise.
- Too expensive for its quantity.
- Doesn’t blend and settle on the skin easily; in some cases, it made the skin itchy.
Overview: Geneva Naturals offer Broad Spectrum protection from harmful rays, all the while fighting the sign of skin aging. It is made from natural ingredients such as Vitamin E and Coconut and Moringa Oil – these contribute in reducing the visibility of wrinkles and fine lines.
- This product is for the meticulous type of men, as it does not only protect your skin from exposure on certain elements but is also designed to make you look younger.
- You don’t have to spend a lot on products that give you an all-in-one result.
- It is more of a moisturizer than a sunscreen. It could leave certain feeling on your face after application; oily and sticky.
- The formula just sits there and doesn’t really get soaked by the skin.
- Some men have experienced sudden breakout upon using.
Overview: Just like most sunscreen lotions, Sun Bum offers Broad Spectrum protection, only it is hypoallergenic and gluten-free which is most recommendable for the delicate skin – made ideal for everyday use.
- This sunscreen smells like coconut, one of the most natural smelling sunscreens you’ll ever use.
- A lot of male users have vouched on how Sun Bum changed their outlook on sunscreen lotions. It worked wonders even on the most delicate of skin. Particularly those who love to spend time at the beach.
- Mostly recommendable for people who love going to tropical places.
- Doesn’t leave any residue, you just have to rub it well and gently.
- It works well except that it stings on the eyes.
- Triggers pimples and clogs the pores.
Who Can Use/Who Should Avoid Sunscreen Products?
People with normal skin type are usually able to try any product they like. Numerous sunscreen lotions also work as moisturizers, which helps in fighting the most common skin issues we get to experience – dryness, and oiliness. If you are the type who doesn’t experience serious skin conditions, then you are good to go. However, those who are prone to allergies, acne or skin diseases should avoid using any product without their doctor’s consent. This is to avoid infection that may build up in your skin by using a product that is not recommended for your condition. Products that contain fragrances are usually harmful to the sensitive type of skin, along with products that include alcohol, capsule, and salicylates, as these components may trigger allergic reactions that could make your existing condition even worst.
If you are currently on acne medication, then you are expected to experience dry skin. In this case, you may actually benefit from cream-based lotions instead of the gel type, as the latter may be too irritating. Cream-based lotions also feel cool on the skin, which makes it better than gels that can give you the burning or stinging sensation. Remember that when you have acne, your skin is more vulnerable to infection because they usually pop open, making your skin directly exposed to all sort of elements.
What If I Have A Darker Skin Tone, What SPF Count Should I Wear?
Some individuals do not feel the need to use a sunscreen particularly if they have a darker complexion. However, just like sunburns, being tan (especially if this wasn’t your natural color) is actually having a damaged DNA as a result of exposure to harmful rays. These individuals should be careful in using titanium-based sunscreens as they may leave a white residue on their skin. A broad spectrum lotion with SPF 15+ is usually recommended.
However, there is a common misconception concerning skin complexion and SPF count. The number that comes after the SPF is actually the time it will spend for your skin to burn without any sunscreen on. For example, if you are planning to wear a sunscreen with SPF 50, it means that your skin will take 50 times longer to burn after being exposed to the sun. If a skin takes 5 minutes to burn, then wearing an SPF 50 will stretch this time frame and make it 250 minutes, or at least 4 hours of protection from the sun’s harmful rays. Some people think that a person with a darker complexion should wear little sunblock or even nothing at all. Of course not. Whatever skin color you have, you are still and will always be prone to harmful rays and sunburns. So, for a regular, daily use, a sunscreen with SPF 30 should be enough, along with SPF 50 if you are planning to enjoy the outdoors.
Important Factors to Keep in Mind
- When buying a sunscreen lotion, the first thing you should consider is your skin type, followed by the brand name that you trust.
- Along with the ingredients, always check the manufacture and expiration dates. An expired product may cause harm to your skin, regardless of the skin type you have.
- Effectiveness does not really depend on the price. It’s all about the ingredients that would work best for your skin type. Dry skin requires a different set of ingredients, as well as an oily skin.
- Always wear sunscreen at least 15 minutes before leaving home. For maximum protection, you can reapply every 3 hours.
Skin care is part of our daily hygiene, but more than anything else, it is part of our overall health. We tend to overlook the harm that is caused by simply going out to get your groceries done or to commute going to work. We may think these are just the simple daily activities we do when in fact, we are being exposed to the sun without actually realizing how serious it could get – it’s only a matter of time. Choosing the right sunscreen, based on how active and outgoing you are, will help you take care of your skin, and we encourage you to be well-informed about your skin’s needs in order to give the protection it deserves.