Do you want to go a few shades lighter this spring without hitting the salon? The answer to your hair-lighting wishes lies in the treasures of your kitchen cabinet. So wave goodbye to all the harsh chemicals and welcome these natural methods to enhance your beautiful tresses.
Hair is made up of different layers, amino acids, and chemical bonds. The hair bulb contains actively growing cells which eventually produce hair. The hair shaft is the part of hair seen above the scalp. It is made of a protein called keratin. It is a strong and Sulphur-rich protein with strong disulfide bonds. These bonds hold the protein strands together.
The hair shaft also consists of hydrogen bonds and gives your hair its flexibility. It consists of three layers the cuticle, cortex, and medulla.
The cuticle consists of overlapping cells facing downwards and forms a protective layer. The outer cuticle holds the hair in hair follicle by the Velcro-like bond.
The cortex consists of long keratin filaments and forms the hair’s main bulk and pigment. The medulla consists of a thin core of transparent cells and air spaces.
How Bleaching Agents Work
Bleaches and highlights remove the color from your hair by a process known as oxidation. The bleach must fully penetrate the hair shaft to remove the natural pigment in your hair. Hair bleaching usually uses hydrogen peroxide to soften and raise the cuticle of the hair. The bleaching agent penetrates the shaft and disperses the color molecules that are already there. The more color molecules dispersed, the lighter your hair becomes.
Harmful Effects Of Chemical Bleaches
Repeated bleaching can permanently raise the cuticle scales and allow the rapid and continuous loss of moisture. It also results in dry, brittle and inelastic hair. The hair gets more prone to breakage and split ends. The amount of damage also depends on the amount of color change. Going from dark to light shade is very hazardous because the bleaching agent is stronger and left on for longer. Improper use of bleaching agents can cause an allergic reaction and damage skin and eyes.
According to International Agency for Research on Cancer, some hair dyes and many chemicals used in hair dyeing process are considered mutagenic and carcinogenic. So it would be in your best interest that you opt for treasures given by Mother Nature.
Natural Ways To Lighten Your Hair
Honey is a great food for your hair. It nourishes and enriches your hair. Since honey is sticky, add some water to loosen it up. This process helps in easy application. Get some of the best honey on the market here.
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of distilled vinegar
- One tablespoon of ground cardamom or cinnamon.
- Add some henna powder or ground coffee for a reddish orange hue. For a strawberry blonde hue add hibiscus petals.
- Mix all the ingredients together and allow it to sit for about 30-60 minutes. Then apply onto wet hair. Use a brush or comb to apply it evenly. Otherwise, you can apply it wherever you want the highlights.
- Cover your hair with plastic and allow the honey to sit for two hours. You can also leave the honey overnight to have a lighter color. This process helps in the deep conditioning of the hair. Wear a shower cap while you sleep. Wash the honey out of your hair and use a hydrating conditioner for a healthy bounce.
- Multiple applications may be required before the results are evident. So keep trying to get the desired look. The best part is that all are natural products and are totally safe.
Lemon juice is one of the oldest and most effective hair lightening techniques. Lemon juice was used by women hundreds of years to get the gorgeous bleached locks. It will lighten dark blonde or light brown hair and will not leave reddish tones unless you already have them. Check out this lemon juice we tasted and worked perfectly.
- Large lemons- 3
- One tsp of ground cinnamon
- Two bags of chamomile tea
- One tablespoon almond oil or coconut oil
- An empty spray bottle.
- Due to its acidity, Lemon juice can dry out your hair. This cocktail of natural ingredients will help to hydrate your hair.
- Boil 1 cup of water and add the tea bags. Allow it to steep for a few minutes. Squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the spray bottle. Add the cinnamon, almond oil and brewed tea. Close the bottle and give the mixture a good shake. Spray it on the areas you would like to lighten and bask in the sunlight. The sun’s rays will enhance your lighting effect.
3. Chamomile Tea
- Steep 4 chamomile tea bags in one cup of hot water for 20 minutes.
- Take 2-3 tbsp Of natural yogurt. Mix it with the brew.
- Apply the hair mask and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave the mask for one hour. If you have brown hair, leave the mask for 2 hours.
- Shampoo and condition your hair as normal.
- Chamomile rinse
- Steep 5 chamomile tea bags in 2 cups of hot water.
- Allow the water to cool.
- Rinse with Chamomile tea after you have shampooed and conditioned your hair.
- Pour the water in a small bucket and with a mug keep pouring it onto your scalp. Make sure you catch the rinse into your bucket.
- Let your hair dry naturally after this rinse.
If you don’t know what rhubarb is, it is technically a vegetable but legally a fruit. It is harvested in the spring with a short season that spans from April to June. This plant has a 3000-year-old history of medicinal and cosmetic use.
The root of this ancient plant can be used as a lightning agent for blonde or light brown hair. Rhubarb is known for its high concentration of oxalic acid, and this serves as a fixative.
So a rhubarb rinse will last much longer than most herbal rinses. It is a good choice for summer. You can get rhubarb in your local health store or farmer’s market. According to herbalists, the strongest rhubarb dye comes from the medicinal species.
- Chop the rhubarb root if you have the fresh ones.
- Simmer 3 to 4 tablespoons of dried rhubarb root or half a cup of fresh ones in a quart of water for 20 minutes.
- Boil this in a stainless steel covered pot.
- Avoid breathing the steam. Let the ingredients steep overnight and strain the decoction in the morning.
- Wash your hair as usual and then pour the rhubarb dye through your hair and catch the liquid in the pan. Repeat two or three times. Air dry your hair without further rinsing.
Cinnamon is a great lightning agent. You can mix cinnamon powder and conditioner and leave it for a couple of hours and then wash it off.
Cinnamon powder to lighten hair
- Honey- 3 tablespoons
- Cinnamon powder- 4 tablespoons
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Mix all the ingredients together to get a smooth paste. Apply the mask to damp hair and cover the head with a plastic bag. Leave the mask on for 1-2 hours. Wash off with any mild shampoo.
Cinnamon and egg yolk to lighten hair
- One egg yolk
- Organic honey three tablespoons
- Fresh lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon powder- 3 tablespoons
- Olive oil- 1 tablespoon
- Whisk egg yolk with lemon juice
- Melt honey and mix all components well.
- Apply the blend to your hair with massaging movements.
- Cover your head with a shower cap. Leave the mask for one hour and wash it off with any organic shampoo.
- You can also use kefir, cinnamon powder, and fresh lemon juice to lighten hair.
Model Eva Herzigova has sworn by this beauty secret for years. Vodka doubles as both a hair treatment and a cocktail. The clear blue tones of vodka will lift any brassiness you have in your hair strands. The action of the alcohol along with the sun lifts the natural pigment in your locks.
Mix one part vodka to two parts seltzer. Pour it into a spray bottle and spritz in on strands while relaxing in the sun.
To lighten your blonde hair naturally, rinse your tresses with lemon infused vodka. Add the zests of 10 to 15 lemons to a bottle of vodka. Store it in a cool and dry place for two to three weeks. Spray the lemon infused vodka onto your hair and bask in the sun. The citric acid and the alcohol strips the color of the strands.
Vodka not only helps to lighten your hair, but it can be used to get frizz free hair, to get shiny hair, for dandruff treatment, for hair growth and to treat hair loss.
7. Vitamin C
It is one of the most effective nutrients to help grow and strengthen hair. Vitamin C helps build collagen which is very important for hair growth. It has great antioxidant properties. Vitamin C protects your hair from free radicals.
So how would you use this for hair lightning? Take ordinary vitamin C tablets and not the ones with flavoring. You can use five to 9 tablets of 500mg each.
Use soup can or rolling pin to crush them. Make it to a fine powder. Mix with enough shampoo to lather your entire head. For a thorough mix use a plastic bag to do this. Work the mixture through your entire head. Once you’ve finished lathering cover your head with a shower cap, wait for at least an hour before washing this mixture off. Rinse off your hair and allow it to air dry.
If you don’t know what henna is all about, it is a plant and henna leaves have a red- orange dye molecule called Lawsone a naphthoquinone. The henna will stain your hair red-orange. It is translucent and will combine with your natural color.
Henna is a good conditioner and makes your hair thick and silky. Henna powder, when mixed with chamomile, is a great lightning agent.
Mix equal amounts of henna powder and chamomile powder in boiling water. Let the mixture cool and comb it through your wet hair. Wear a shower cap and leave the mixture for an hour. Leave the henna for two hours if you have dark hair. Remove the plastic and rinse the mixture from your hair.
Pure & Natural Henna Powder at best price for this use we found it here.
Start with clean, dry hair. For short hair use four tablespoons, for shoulder length hair use six tablespoons. For very long thick hair 10 to 12 tablespoons will be sufficient.
Mix the henna with a nonmetallic bowl and spatula.
Gradually mix water to get a body lotion consistency.
Apply the mixture onto your hair and wrap your hair with a plastic wrap.
Leave the henna for 30 minutes to one hour and not more than that.
Thoroughly rinse your hair with warm water.
After 24 hours or more, you can wash and condition as usual.
Tips to maintain the color of your hair
- Use color protecting shampoos and conditioners.
- Use purple shampoos and conditioners to maintain and enhance the blonde color.
- Use sulfate-free shampoos.
- Avoid chlorine.
- Use heat protecting products before using styling appliances.
- Get deep conditioning treatments to get smooth and lustrous hair.
- Use leave-in treatments with UV absorbents.
- Shampoo your hair less frequently.
- Apply hot oil treatments to your hair.
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Use less heat on your hair whenever possible.
- Regularly trim your hair.
Natural hair lighting methods are safe to use and do not cause any harm, though you may not get the same result as an instant conventional dye. Repeated applications help you to achieve your desired look. As the saying goes “slow and steady wins the race” so also natural hair lighting methods though slow, makes your hair looks gorgeous without any harmful effects.
Aside from these natural methods not having harmful effects on your hair, some of the ingredients can even nourish and help improve your hair's health. It would be best to try on these DIY methods and make the most out of the benefits they can give your hair before going to the salon for a treatment.
Share this Image On Your Site
How to get blonder hair without bleach?
There are a number of reasons why people get blonder hair without bleach; it could be because they don't want their hair to dry up.The tips below will help you when dyeing your hair to ensure that it lasts for longer and gets blonder hair without bleach easily.
- Do not expose hair to direct sunlight at least for a day after getting blonder hair without bleach as it will reduce the effects of the hair dye if you want to get blonder hair without bleach.
- Wash and condition your hair using normal conditioner after 24 hours of getting blonder hair without bleach. Wait for five minutes before rinsing off the conditioner after blonder hair without bleach. This is necessary every time you wash hair after getting blonder hair without bleach to retain the texture of your soft and shiny hair.
- Mix equal parts of vinegar and water, comb it through your hair and rinse out after a minute or two after getting blonder hair without bleach. Rinsing your hair with this mixture helps you get blonder hair without bleach.
- You could also try mixing some conditioner to the dye before applying it for faster absorption of the hair color and to reduce its damage if you want to get blonder hair without bleach.
- Remove the natural oils from your hair getting blonder hair without bleach by washing it the day before getting blonder hair without bleach. This also helps to make the dye last for longer especially if you want to get blonder hair without bleach.
- If you want to get blonder hair without bleach for a special event then it would be a good idea to put the dye in about a week before so it will look more natural on the day. Your hair will look artificially colored if you get blonder hair without bleach the day before.
When people want to get blonder hair without bleach it is normal that they already know the outcome of the process of getting blonder hair without bleach. In these contemporary times especially, folks believe that dying hair a different color is crucial, and many of these folks use henna hair dye.
How to get blonder hair without bleach? if you really want to get that blonder hair without bleach just accept your natural hair coloring process assuming that it is the best for you. You'll tend to forget that perhaps it has lost its luster or bleached out unevenly in most cases by the elements.
Once you have decided to undergo the process to get blonder hair without bleach you must go for the hair coloring process you must go through to ensure you'll get blonder hair without bleach. Here are some tips for our hairstylist out there to give their customer blonder hair without bleach:
Phase One. Get to know your clients past when it comes to their hair, there is always a reason why they want to get blonder hair without beach. What style have they opted for the most often? Are they pro long or short hair? What is their hair care regime like? Are they active in outdoor activities that could have a direct effect if they get blonder hair without bleach such as swimming for example? Chlorine in swimming pools can play havoc on the hair. All of the answers you get from these questions are going to help you determine how to get blonder hair without bleach.
Phase Two. You need to be very familiar with warm and cool tones as they are evident in the skin tones especially if you want to get blonder hair without bleach. You don’t want a hair color that is going to clash with these tones; the goal is to find the right blonder hair without bleach that will complement the skin. How to get blonder hair without bleach? Determine the face shape of the client and based on that make some suggestions as to the best cuts and styles when getting blonder hair without bleach. Keep these suggestions in line with having the style and color compliment each other. Do a color test to be sure that you'll get blonder hair without bleach.
Phase Three Take into account the lighting as it can alter the true color especially if they want to get blonder hair without bleach. You need to be able to judge shades as well from the lights to darks to in betweens to get the right blonder hair without bleach. Study the hair in natural lighting to see if any yellow tones are present and determine how to get blonder hair without bleach. You need to know if this is the natural coloring of the client's hair, or has the environment affected it. It could even be left over residue from prior coloring or previous coloring to get blonder hair without bleach .
How to get blonder hair without bleach: Phase Four Don’t be afraid to make notes and sketches to show your client where the color will be. Know you tones such as red hair to blonder hair without bleach requires copper gold tones. The burgundies have to be restricted to level 5 or darker referring to the natural hair.
How to get blonder hair without bleach?Phase Five Always try to show your client the true colors via pictures if they want to get blonder hair without bleach. What you may consider as a red color the client may view it as being brown. It's important that your line of thinking is consistent with the clients.
Phase Six Perform an ongoing consultation with your client each and every time you are going to perform a color service like blonder hair without bleach. Make sure your client knows what you are going to do and what to expect. This way there are no bad surprises at the completion of getting blonder hair without bleach. Make sure you keep your conversation in layman’s terms, don’t get caught up using professional terminology while giving your customer blonder hair without bleach.
Phase Seven You must know your product well so you know what options and choices are available to you. Product knowledge is critical when it comes to hair coloring especially when if you want to get blonder hair without bleach. You must know the strengths and capabilities of what you are using.
Phase Eight If you are working with a new product and not sure of what results you are going to get when having blonder hair without bleach then make your own swatches using various colors from hair cuttings. You will feel much more comfortable because you will have a basic idea what to expect when getting blonder hair without bleach. Better mistakes are made at this level then with the client.
Phase Nine Memorize the major or favored colors, which will become the top five that you will most often perform. Design one for pale ash, dark blonder hair without bleach, brown, the darker levels, the reds and shades for blonder hair without bleach. This will adequately cover the major hair colors and easier to pick a color if you want to get blonder hair without bleach.
Phase Ten: The clich? ?the customer is always right?, fits right in with this service especially if they want a blonder hair without bleach. You must be able to identify immediately what if any concerns the client has whether she has spoken them verbally or otherwise. Do not go ahead with the service until you're sure the client wants to get blonder hair without bleach.