Lemons are the citrusy fruits that bring to mind the images of warm summer holidays, the beautiful sunshine and the sweet smile of children enjoying their lemonades.
The refreshing lemons are filled with lots of nutrient goodness. They work wonders for your skin health. In this article, we will discuss howlemonscan give your skin a transformation.
Health Benefits of Lemons
This ancient tart and astringent fruit date back to 2,500 years and is thought to have originated in India or China. Lemons were introduced to Europe by the Arabs.
Did you know?
Lemons were brought to the Americas by Christopher Columbus. They were extremely expensive way back in 1849. People were willing to pay $1 per lemon. So as you can see that the lemons do have a grand history and still they are in much demand today.
If you are pink in health, then your health radiates your inner beauty. Lemons are essential for good health. They contain compounds called limonoids. It provides cancer fighting elements for the lung, breast, skin, mouth, colon, and stomach.
These tangy yellow fruits are rich in vitamin C. This vitamin is an important antioxidant needed for optimal health. Vitamin C is an essential molecule for skin health.
Vitamin C from dietary sources and topical application have beneficial effects on skin cells. Research studies have shown that vitamin C can prevent and treat ultraviolet ray’s damage on the skin.
Vitamin C is found both in high amounts in the dermis and the epidermis layers of the skin. Aging, exposure to UV rays, pollutants and smoking can reduce the levels of vitamin C in the skin.
Vitamin C travels through the body neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals attack the healthy cells, damage them and causes inflammation. These baddies aggravate the natural aging process.
Free radicals can lead to
- Dead lifeless skin
- Uneven tones
- Wrinkles and
Lemons are rich in vitamin C and they fight against the negative effects of free radicals. It helps your skin to become smooth, soft and glowing.
How Does Lemon Make Your Skin Glow
Lemon juice works wonders on your skin.
- Lemon juice lightens scars and age spots
- It has natural antibacterial properties which help to cure and prevent acne breakouts.
- It is a natural exfoliator. The citric acid present in lemon juice acts as a gentle skin peel and removes thedead top layer of skin cells.
- Lemon helps to moisturize your skin.
- Soften rough skin areas such as elbows and knees.
- Brightens the skin and removes blackheads on the face
- It tones oily skin and fights off wrinkles.
Drink lemon juice mixed with water and honey once daily. It will add a healthy glow to your skin.
Lemon contains alpha hydroxy acids which are essential for skin care. This helps to smooth fine lines, reduce wrinkles, improve skin texture and enhance the overall look.
A word of caution before you follow all these recipes. You can do a patch test to see whether you are allergic to lemon before you start these procedures.
Don’t spend long periods in the sun after using lemon juice. It will make your skin more susceptible to sun damage. It would be wise to do these procedures during night time.Otherwise, you can follow all these procedures when you are sure that you won’t be stepping out in the sun.
Beauty Lemon Recipes For Skin Glow
1. Lemon And Honey Face Mask
Image Source: MyNameisPrimrose
This homemade skin recipe is by ehowbeauty.
This is an easy recipe where you just throw in ingredients from the kitchen shelf and make up an amazing face mask.
You have to pull back your hair and tie it up because this mask is rather sticky.
- 1 lemon
- Organiclemon works best. If you don’t have one. You can use ordinary lemon.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Squeeze ½ a lemon into a bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of honey.
- Mix it with aspoon until it becomes liquid in consistency.
- Apply all over your face.
- Leave off the eye area.
- Lemon and honey can be said as the superfood for the skin.
- Leave this mask for 15-20 minutes and rinse off. This gives a lighter, softer and a hydrated effect to your skin.
- Moisturize your skin.
2. Homemade Lemon Body Scrub
Image Source: HowsBeautyTips
This easy and gentle recipe is the brainchild of TheSimpleCare.
- 1 ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Scrub your body for 5-10 minutes. Then apply a moisturizer.
- Repeat this process once or twice a week to achieve clear and soft skin.
3. Lemon Natural Facelift
Image Source: TheKitchenMcCabe
The lemon facelift is a youthful recipe by Marina De Giovanni
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- Egg white from 1 egg
- Mix the ingredients well. Apply onto your face, leaving the eye area. Leave it for 30 minutes.
- You will feel a tightening on your face which will create the lifting and firming effect.
- Wash it off with warm water. If you religiously repeat this treatment, it will take the years off your face. You will look younger and more beautiful.
4. Lemon Peppermint Foot Scrub
Image Source: The Chic Site
This DIY beauty tutorial is by Guide Central.
- 2/3 cup of white vinegar
- I/5 cup of coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon polysorbate (tween 80). Polysorbate 80 is an emulsifier used in foods and cosmetics. It appears as a yellow viscous liquid.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4-5 drops of green colorant
- 3-4 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 5-6 drops of lemon essential oil
- Measure out the vinegar and add it in a bowl.
- Melt the coconut butter.
- Mix them well and add sugar and polysorbate.
- Add the green colorant.
- Throw in the lemon and peppermint essential oils.
- Mix everything together and your amazing foot scrub is ready.
5. Lemon Skin Brightening Face Mask
Tired skin looks lifeless and dull. If you want to go to a party or some special occasion, it is good that your skin looks bright and lovely. Here is an refreshing skin brightening recipe by TheSimpleCare.
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Apply the mixture to your face and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Moisturize your face.
- You can also apply this mask on the neck and hands.
- Repeat this process for 4 times a week. You will be amazed by the results.
6. Lemon Honey Blackhead Remover
Blackheads can cause the face to look dull and unattractive. Here is an bewitching beauty tutorial by AprilAthena to get cleared of the blackheads naturally.
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 lemon
- Cut the lemon into quarters. So that it can be easily applied to the edges of the nose.
- Pour the honey onto the lemon.
- Give a nice scrub over the black heads prone areas.
- Keep on rubbing for 5 minutes.
- Using a washcloth and warm water scrub the area and wash it off.
- You can repeat this 3 times a week for stunning results.
7. Lemon Cucumber Toner
Regularly toning your skin helps it to have a healthy and clear appearance. Toners restore your pH balance so that your skin is less prone to oiliness and infection. It creates a smooth and vibrant looking skin.
Toners can also help in detoxification, acne reduction and aids in hydration and nourishment of the skin.
Here is an amazing recipe by Indian Beauty Tips.
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Half cup of cucumber slices
- 3 cups of cold water
- ¼ cup of lemon slices
- In a jar add all the ingredients. You can dip in a cotton ball and apply it onto your face.
- Refrigerate and use the lemon toner for up to a week.
8. Lemon Stretch Mark Remover
Stretch marks are caused by the distension of skin during pregnancy and obesity. Lemon juice is often used to fade away stretch marks. The results are excellent when mixed with other stretch marks removal treatments.
- Lemon juice – 3 tablespoons.
- Clean and exfoliate your skin to remove the dead skin cells.
- Cut the lemon with a knife.
- Squeeze the juice in a bowl.
- Rub the lemon juice onto the stretch marks using circular motions.
- Let the lemon juice soak into the skin for 5-10 minutes.
- Wipe it off with a wet soft towel.
- Natural fruit acids are present in the lemon juice. It bleaches the skin and reduces the redness of the stretch marks.
- Repeat the process 3 times a week for stunning results.
9. Lemon Acne Cleanser
Acne is a skin condition that occurs when skin follicles become clogged with dead skin cells and oil. It causes the face to appear spotty and can lead to low self-esteem. But there is good news, and here it is. Lemon juice helps to cure acne.
- 1 lemon
- 2 cotton swabs
- Wash your face and exfoliate to clear off the dirt and oil.
- Pat your face dry and apply a moisturizer.
- Cut the lemon into halves.
- Dip the cotton swab into the lemon wedge and leave it for 5 minutes.
- The cotton will absorb the lemon juice.
- Use the cotton swab only on acne and its scars.
- Repeat the procedure wherever acne is present on the face.
- Leave the area around the eyes.
- Cover the face with a plastic wrap.
- Leave it for 30 minutes or 2-3 hours whichever is suitable to you.
- Remove the plastic wrap and wash off your face.
- Do this process for 3 days a week for several weeks to get the best results.
10. Lemon dark circle remover
Image Source: FindHomeRemedy
Lack of sleep, poor diet, aging and long hours before the computer can cause dark circles under the eyes.
Here are some refining beauty recipes to get off dark circles once and for all.
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- Mix the lemon juice and almond oil.
- Clean the area around the eyes very gently.
- Apply the lemon juice and almond oil mixture to the dark circles.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Repeat on a daily basis.
- You can also use lemon juice as such or along with tomato juice, potato, mint, cucumber juice, turmeric, milk and rose water to treat dark circles.
11. Lemon nail moisturizer and strengthener
Image Source: ASheMag
Brittle and unhealthy nails put a damper on the beauty of your hands and feet. Moisturizing the nails can improve the nail health.
- A small bowl full of lemon juice
- Cotton balls
- Clean your nails and remove any traces of nail polish.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a small container enough to soak the hand nails.
- Soak your nails in the lemon juice for 1-2 minutes.
- Wash off your hands and apply moisturizer.
- For your feet soak the cotton balls in the lemon juice. Apply on the nails. Leave it for 2 minutes and wash it off.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Mix the olive oil and lemon juice in a glass bowl.
- Warm the mixture in a microwave for 10-15 seconds.Apply this onto your nails and cover it.
- Do this process before bedtime.
- Cover your nails with cotton gloves
- Wash off your hands in the morning and apply moisturizer.ply on the nails. Leave it for 2 minutes and wash it off.
12. Lemon juice, cucumber and rose water tan remover face pack
Image Source: Fashion Lady
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cucumber juice
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- Take the all the ingredients in a glass bowl and give it a stir.
- Apply onto the tanned areas such as the face, neck, and hands.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with cool water.
- Moisturize your skin.
- Repeat this beauty treatment every time you get back home from the sun.
A soft supple and glowing skin speaks volumes about the overall health of a person. A beautiful skin boosts your self-confidence.
Proper hydration is essential for skin health. So drink lots of water and eat a healthy diet. If you follow all the beauty recipes which we have discussed so far. I bet you will always be surrounded with compliments.